Zolpidem is a medicine that can be used for the short-term treatment of sleeping problems and is sold under the brand name Ambien. It was approved in the United States for medical use in the year 1992. This medicine was one of the most common medicine for sleeping problems and is available as a generic medication in the year 2007.
Zolpidem was the 60th most commonly prescribed medication with more than 12 million prescriptions in the United States in the year 2018. It is one of the common medicines that can be used in the treatment of sleeping problems. This medicine is store at room temperature, which is away from moisture and light.
Zolpidem is used in the treatment of sleeping problems (insomnia) especially in adults. This medicine belongs to a group of medicines called sedative-hypnotics and acts on your brain to produce a calming effect and is usually limited to short treatment periods between 1 and 2 weeks or less
How to take –
Take this medicine via the mouth on an empty stomach as instructed by your doctor. You should take only one medicine at night for treatment. Since this medicine works very fast, so take this drug before sleep at night. Do not take this medicine with or after a meal due to it will not work well as quickly. If you sleep at least 7 to 8 hours then do not take this dose of this medicine. Do not increase the dose of this medicine without consultation with your doctor. Generally, women are prescribed at a low dose due to the medicine is removed from the body more slowly as compared with men. Older adults should also start this medicine at a low dose for reducing the risk of side effects. If you stop this medicine suddenly then it may increase the risk of withdrawal symptoms such as vomiting, stomach upset, flushing, nausea, and nervousness. Some people are addict to this medicine due to the overuse of medicine. You should take this medicine as prescribed that helps in reducing the risk of addiction.
Dosage instructions –
The dose of this medicine is depending on age, gender, past or present health conditions, and response to treatment. Do not increase the dose of this medicine without discussing it with your doctor as it may increase the risk of side effects.
– Take this medicine as soon as possible to make up the dose if you missed the dose. But do not take a double dose of this medicine as it may cause side effects, which is not good for your health.
Overdose- Advertisement -
– The overdose of this medicine causes severe side effects. So, if you take an overdose of this medicine then immediately contact your doctor for medical help.
There are some of the side effects after taking Zolpidem medicine are given below –
- Abnormal thoughts
- Memory loss
- Severe dizziness
If you are suffering from any side effects for a long time then immediately consult with your doctor for medical help.
There are some of the precautions before or after taking this medicine are given below –
- You should consult with your doctor if you are an allergic problem with this medicine before taking this medicine.
- If you are suffering from a kidney or liver problem, problem in breathing then discuss with your doctor before taking this medicine.
- After taking this medicine, you may feel dizziness or blurred vision so should not drive any vehicle or also avoid any physical activities.
- You should not take a large amount of alcohol at the time of medication as it may cause side effects and harmful to your health.
- If you are pregnant then should consult with your doctor before taking this doctor as it may harm an unborn baby.
- Do not take this medicine if you are breastfeeding your baby as less amount of drug passes through the breast milk that causes an undesirable effect on your nursing baby.
- You can consult with your doctor about their past or present health conditions before taking this medicine.