Zoloft is also called Sertraline and belongs to an antidepressant of the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) group. The effectiveness of this medicine for depression is the same as that of other antidepressants and differences are mostly confined to side effects. Zoloft may work better as compared with fluoxetine for some subtypes of depression. This medicine is effective for social anxiety disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), generalized anxiety disorder, and panic disorder. But for obsessive-compulsive disorder, cognitive behavioral therapy particularly in combination with Zoloft is a better treatment.
Zoloft is also alternatives to the symptoms of the premenstrual dysphoric disorder that can be used in sub-therapeutic doses or intermittently for its treatment. Scientists at Pfizer was invented and developed Zoloft. This medicine was approved in the United States for medical use in the year 1991 and is available as a generic medication. Zoloft was the most commonly prescribed psychiatric medication in the United States in the year 2016. After that, this medicine was the most common medication prescribed with over 38 million prescriptions in the United States in the year 2018.
Zoloft is used in the treatment of panic attacks, post-traumatic stress disorder, social phobia, premenstrual syndrome, and obsessive-compulsive disorder. This medicine can improve appetite, energy level, and mood. It can also reduce unwanted thoughts, panic attacks, anxiety, and fear. This medicine can also lower the urge for performing repeated tasks compulsion such as counting, hand-washing, and counting. Zoloft is also called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) and works by helping restore the balance of a certain natural substance (serotonin) in the brain.
How to take –
Take this medicine once daily either in the morning or evening as instructed by your doctor. This medicine is in the form of liquid and tablets can be taken with or without food. But the medicine is in the form of a capsule is usually taken with food. Take the capsule as a whole without chewing or crushing with a full glass of water. If you use this medicine is in liquid form then must be mixed with another liquid before taking it. You should measure the dose of this medicine is in liquid form with the help of a medicine dropper. But do not use a household spoon due to it may not measure the correct dose. If you use this medicine for premenstrual problems then take this tablet daily for only 2 weeks as directed by your doctor.
Dosage instructions –
The dose of this medicine is based on your past or present health conditions and response to treatment. If you are a new user then this medicine starts with a low dose to lower the risk of side effects and gradually increase the dose as instructed by your doctor.
– If you miss the dose then take this medicine as soon as possible when you remember. But do not take a double dose of this medicine to make up the dose of that day as it may harmful for your health.
– The overdose of this medicine may cause fainting and severe dizziness. Thus, if you take an overdose of this medicine then immediately consult with your doctor for medical help.
There are some of the side effects of this medicine are given below –
- Dry mouth
- Increased sweating
- Stomach upset
- Problem in breathing
- Weight loss
- Muscle cramps
- Blurred vision
- Reduce in sexual ability
- Eye pain
- Loss of appetite
If you are suffering from any severe side effects for a long time then immediately contact your doctor for medical help.
There are some of the precautions before taking this medicine are given below –
- Zoloft medicine should not be taken if you are suffering from severe diseases such as liver problems, seizures, bleeding problems, and many more.
- You must read and follow all the directions on your prescription label before taking this medicine.
- Do not drive any vehicle including car, and motorcycle after taking this medicine as it may cause sleepiness or dizziness that enhance the risk of an accident.
- During medication, do not take a large amount of alcohol as it may cause unwanted side effects that are not good for your health.
- If you are pregnant then consult with your doctor before taking this medicine as it may harm your unborn baby.
Do not take this medicine if you are breastfeeding a child as it may pass into breast milk and harmful effects on a nursing infant.