Zofran is also known as Ondansetron, is a medicine that can be used to prevent vomiting and nausea due to radiation therapy, surgery, and cancer chemotherapy. This medicine is also effective to treat gastroenteritis and is sold under the brand name Zofran. But it is not effective to treat vomiting that is caused by motion sickness. This medicine can be given by injection into a muscle or vein and via the mouth.
Zofran was patented in the year 1984 and is approved for medical use in the year 1990. This medicine is a list of essential medicines on the World Health Organization and is available as a generic medication. Zofran was the 64th most common medication prescribed with more than 12 million prescriptions in the United States in the year 2018.
Zofran is a medicine that can be used in preventing vomiting and nausea that are caused by radiation therapy and chemotherapy to treat cancer. This medicine is also used in preventing vomiting and nausea after surgery. The work of this medicine is to block the body’s natural substances (serotonin), which causes vomiting. This medicine is also in the treatment of hyperemesis gravidarum and morning sickness of pregnancy.
How to take –
Take this medicine via the mouth within 30 minutes before treatment begins to prevent nausea from chemotherapy. You can take this medicine 1 to 2 hours before the treatment to prevent nausea from radiation treatment. Before 1 hour of surgery, you can take this medicine to prevent nausea after surgery. If you use this medicine is in liquid form then should use a special measuring spoon or device to measure the dose of this medicine. But do not use a household spoon as you may not get the correct dose.
After the radiation or chemotherapy treatment is done, you take this medicine up to 3 times a day for 1 to 2 days. You should take this medicine regularly for getting the most benefit from it.
Dosage instructions –
The dose of this medicine is based on your age, past or present health conditions, and response to treatment. But the dose of this medicine is based on weight and age for children. You should take the dose of this medicine as prescribed by your doctor for good treatment.
Miss dose- Advertisement -
– if you miss the dose then take this medicine as soon as possible when you remember. But do not take an extra dose of this medicine to make up the dose as it may harmful to your health.
– The overdose of this medicine causes several severe side effects that are injurious to your health. So, if you take an overdose of this medicine then immediately talk to your doctor for medical help.
There are some of the side effects after using this medicine are given below –
- Stomach upset
- Loss of vision
- Chest pain
- Irregular heartbeat
- Muscle spasm
If you have any side effects after using this medicine then consult with your doctor as soon as possible for medical help.
There are some of the precautions before taking this medicine are as given below –
- If you have any allergy to this medicine then consult with your doctor before taking this medicine.
- Do not change or increase the dose of this medicine during treatment as it may harmful to your health.
- This medicine is approved for those children who are younger than 4 years old.
- You should take the first dose of this medicine before the start of your chemotherapy, radiation therapy, or any surgery.
- Do not take this medicine if you are breastfeeding a child as it may pass into breast milk and may cause harmful effects on a nursing infant.
- If you are pregnant then consult with your doctor before taking this medicine as it harms an unborn baby.
- During medication, do not take alcohol as it may cause several severe side effects, which are not good for your health.
Do not drive any vehicle or avoid any physical activities after taking this medicine as it may cause sleepiness that may increase the risk of an accident.