Introduction – Misoprostol is a synthetic prostaglandin medicine that can be used in the treatment of start labor and stomach ulcers that cause an abortion. This medicine is used to treat postpartum bleeding that is caused by poor contraction of the uterus. It is taken through the mouth for the treatment of gastric ulcers
Misoprostol was developed in the year 1973 and is available as a generic medication. This medicine is listed as an essential medicine of the World Health Organization.
Uses – Misoprostol is used in preventing stomach ulcers when you take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), the most common pain relievers including ibuprofen, naproxen, and aspirin. This medicine is especially for those people who have a risk for developing ulcers or have a history of ulcers. It helps in lowering the risk of serious ulcer complications such as bleeding. This medicine is also used in protecting the stomach lining by reducing the amount of acid that comes in contact with it. It is also used in combination with another medicine to end a pregnancy (abortion).
How to take – You should read and follows all the directions posted on your prescriptions before taking this medicine. If you use this medicine to treat stomach ulcers then taken them by mouth usually four times daily. This medicine should be taken after meals and at bedtime to lower the risk of diarrhea as instructed by your doctor. If you take this medicine for abortion then take it via the mouth as directed by your doctor.
When you are taking this medicine to start labor and insert it in your vagina by your doctor. Do not take antacids, which contain magnesium if you take misoprostol as it may cause diarrhea that is not good for your health. If you want to take antacid then consult with your doctor before taking misoprostol. You should take this medicine regularly for getting the most benefit from it that is good for your treatment or health. However, if your condition is not improved after taking this medicine for a long period then consult with your doctor immediately.
Dosage instructions – The dose of any medicine plays an important role in the treatment of severe diseases that depend on your medical conditions and response to treatment. During treatment, you should not increase the dose of this medicine without consultation with your doctor.
- Miss dose – During treatment, if you miss the dose on any day then should take this medicine as soon as possible. But do not take an extra dose of this medicine to recover the dose.
- Overdose – An overdose of this medicine may be injurious to your health. So, if you take an extra dose of this medicine then contact to your doctor immediately.
Side effects – This medicine causes several side effects after using are given below –
- Stomach upset
- Vaginal bleeding
- Muscle weakness
- Difficulty in breathing
- Changes in mood
- Reduced urination
If you are suffering from any side effects that are cause by this medicine then immediately consult with your doctor to prevent the problem.
Warnings – Several important precautions are taken who use this medicine for treatment are discussed below –
- Do not use this medicine if you are pregnant as it may cause premature birth, birth defects, uterine bleeding, and incomplete miscarriage.
- You can consult with your doctor about your medical history before taking this medicine.
- If you are an allergic problem with this misoprostol then do not take this medicine as it may harm your health.
- After taking this medicine, if you are suffering from stomach upset, diarrhea, and nausea for a long time then contact to your doctor immediately.
- You should not take this medicine with alcohol as it may enhance the risk of stomach bleeding.
- In case of dosage, you should take the right dose of this medicine as per instructed by your doctor.