Rybelsus is also known as Semaglutide, is an anti-diabetic medicine that can be used for the treatment of type-2 diabetes and chronic weight management. This medicine helps in treating type-2 diabetes by increasing insulin secretion that enhances sugar metabolism. The main benefit of the anti-diabetic medicine is that it has a long period of action so, once a week injection is satisfactory.
An injection of Semaglutide, Ozempic was permitted in the United States for any treatment in December 2017. This medicine was recognized in other countries such as Canada, Japan, and European Union in the year 2018. Semaglutide is available as an another medicine (Rybelsus) is taken via the mouth was recognized in the United States for medicine use in September 2019. It was also recognized in the European Union for medical use in April 2020.
The U.S. FDA has approved Semaglutide injection on June 4, 2021, which is sold under the brand name Wegovy for chronic weight management in adult people.
Rybelsus is used in controlling type-2 diabetes and prevents blindness, loss of limbs, sexual dysfunction, and kidney damage. Reducing or controlling type-2 diabetes may also lower the risk of heart attack or stroke. The work of this medicine is to reduce or control type-2 diabetes by enhancing insulin secretion that lowers the level of sugar in the body.
How to take –
You must read and follow the directions on your prescriptions before taking this medicine. Take this medicine as a whole without split, crush or chew with a full glass of water. You should take only one tablet regularly as instructed by your doctor. After taking this medicine, you should take a meal or other tablet after 30 minutes. You should take food or anything after 30 to 60 minutes when you take rybelsus for best treatment. Do not increase the dose of this medicine without consultation with your doctor as it may cause side effects. You should take this medicine daily for getting the most benefit from it. But if your sugar level is too high after taking this medicine then consult with your doctor.
Dosage instructions –
The dose of any medicine is based on your age, gender, health conditions, and response to treatment. This medicine should be started with a low dose to lower the risk of side effects and gradually increase the dose as per instructed by your doctor.
Miss Dose –
- Take this medicine immediately when you miss the dose at any time. But do not take a double dose of this medicine as it may cause side effects.
- If you take an overdose of this medicine then consult with your doctor as soon as possible for medical help as it may cause severe side effects, which are harmful to your health.
Side effects –
There are some of the side effects of this medicine are given below –
- Abdominal pain
- Kidney problems
- Blurred vision
- Difficulty in breathing
If you are suffering from any side effects for a long period after taking this medicine then immediately contact to your doctor for medical help.
There are several important precautions before or after taking this medicine are given below –
- Do not take this medicine with a large amount of alcohol as it may increase the risk of developing low blood pressure that is not good for your health.
- If you have an allergic problem with this medicine then you should avoid this medicine and take another medicine for treatment.
- You should discuss with your doctor about past or present medical history before taking this medicine.
- After taking this medicine, do not drive any vehicle and avoid any physical activities because it may cause blurred vision or sleepiness that may enhance the risk of an accident or injury.
- If you are planning to become pregnant then you should consult with your doctor before taking this medicine.