Wellbutrin is also known as bupropion, is an atypical antidepressant that can be mainly used in the treatment of major depressive disorder and support smoking cessation. This medicine has several benefits as compared with other antidepressants that do not cause any sexual dysfunction and are not associated with an increase in weight and sleepiness. Wellbutrin is more effective than Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor (SSRI) in improving symptoms of hypersomnia and fatigue.
Nariman invented this medicine that worked at Burroughs Wellcome in the year 1969. Wellbutrin was first approved in the United States for medical use in the year 1985. This medicine was the 27th most commonly prescribed medication with more than 24 million prescriptions in the United States.
Wellbutrin is an antidepressant, which can be used in the treatment of seasonal affective disorder and major depressive disorder. This medicine lowers the severity of craving for tobacco with withdrawal symptoms such as problems in concentrating, increased appetite, depressed mood, and irritability. After quitting smoking, firstly, this medicine slows the increase in weight that may occur in the first weeks. It is also used to treat obesity in between 6 and 12 months that lowers an average weight of 2.7kg over placebo.
How to take –
Take this medicine via the mouth with or without food three times regularly a day. After taking this medicine, if a stomach upset occurs then you may take this tablet with food. You should take the dose of this medicine at least 6 hours apart to lower the risk of seizure. This medicine should be taken with the correct dose as prescribed by your doctor. If you take more than recommended dose then it may increase the risk of seizure. Do not take this medicine too close to bedtime that prevents the problem of sleepiness. You should take this medicine for getting the most benefit from it. You should not stop immediately taking this medicine without discussing it with your doctor as it may worsen your condition.
Dosage instructions –
The dose of this medicine is depending on your age, medical conditions, and response to treatment. You should start this medication with a low dose to reduce the risk of seizures and other side effects.
– Take this medicine immediately if you miss the dose any time to make up the dose. But do not take an extra dose of this medicine as it may cause side effects.
If you take the overdose of this medicine by chance then consult with your doctor as soon as possible as it may cause side effects that are harmful to your health.
There are several side effects after taking this medicine are given below –
- Dry mouth
- Sore throat
- Joint aches
- Increased sweating
- Blurred vision
- Strange taste in the mouth
- Ringing in the ears
- Weight loss
There are some of the precautions before or after taking this medicine are given below –
- You should read and follow the instructions on your prescriptions before taking this medicine for treatment.
- Do not take or avoid this medicine if you are an allergic problem to this medicine.
- Before using this medicine, you should consult with your doctor about your past or present medical conditions.
- After taking this medicine, you should check your blood pressure levels regularly as this drug may increase your blood pressure.
- If you may suffer from a seizure after taking this medicine then consult with your doctor immediately for medical help.
- This medicine should not take with alcohol as it may increase the risk of seizures.
- If you are planning to pregnant or become pregnant then you should discuss this with your doctor before using this medicine.
- You should talk to your doctor if you breastfeed your infant before taking this medicine due to this drug may pass into breast milk that is harmful to your baby.