Vortioxetine is a medicine that can be used for the treatment of major depressive disorder and is sold under the brand names Brintellix and Trintellix. This medicine is recommended for those people who have not improved sufficiently on two other antidepressants in the United Kingdom. This tablet is taken via the mouth.
This medicine was approved in the United States for medical use in the year 2013. This medicine was the 312th most commonly prescribed medication with more than one million prescriptions in the United States in the year 2017.
Vortioxetine is a medicine that can be used to treat depression. The main work of this medicine is to help for restoring the balance of a certain natural substance (serotonin) in the brain. This medicine is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) and serotonin receptor modulator that may improve your sleep, appetite, energy level, mood, and can help in restoring your interest in daily living.
How to take –
You should read and follows the medication guide on your prescriptions before taking this medicine for treatment. Take this medicine via the mouth with or without food as per instructed by your doctor. Do not increase the dose of this medicine without discussing it with your doctor as it may cause side effects. You should take this medicine regularly for getting the most benefit from it. Do not stop taking this medicine instantly without consulting with your doctor as you may suffer from several symptoms including headache, mood swings, runny nose, and muscle stiffness. To lower the effects of symptoms, your doctor can decrease your dose gradually. But if your condition is not improved after taking this medicine for a long time then consult with your doctor.
Dosage instructions –
The dose of any medicine is depending on your past or present health conditions, age, gender, and response to treatment. This medicine should be taken with a low dose to lower the risk of side effects. After some days, you can gradually increase your dose as per instructed by your doctor.
Miss dose –
- Take this medicine as soon as possible if you miss the dose at any time. But you should not take a double dose of this medicine as it may harmful for you.
- An overdose of this medicine causes several side effects that are harmful to your health. Thus, if you take an overdose of this medicine by chance then immediately consult with your doctor for medical help.
Side effects –
There are several side effects after taking this medicine are given below –
- Memory changes
- Blurred vision
- Eye pain
- Difficulty in concentrating
After taking this medicine if you have any one of the side effects then immediately consult with your doctor for medical help.
There are several important precautions before or after taking this medicine are given below –
- You should discuss with your doctor about past or present medical conditions before using this medicine.
- Do not drive any vehicle or avoid any physical activities after taking this medicine as it may cause sleepiness or dizziness that may increase the risk of an accident.
- If you are pregnant then should consult with your doctor before taking this medicine as this drug may harm your unborn baby.
- Do not take a large amount of alcohol with this medicine as it may cause several side effects, which is not good for your health.
- You should not stop using this medicine instantly with consulting with your doctor as it may worsen your condition.
- After taking this medicine, if your condition is not improved then immediately contact to your doctor.
- Do not take this medicine if you are breastfeeding a child as it may pass into breast milk and have harmful effects on an unborn baby.