Vitamin D3 is also called cholecalciferol and is a type of vitamin D that is made by the skin when exposed to light coming from the sun. This type of vitamin D is found in several foods and can be taken as a dietary supplement.
Vitamin D3 is used as an oral dietary supplement in preventing vitamin D deficiency. It is also used as a medication for the treatment of vitamin D deficiency diseases including rickets. This type of vitamin D was first described in the year 1936. Cholecalciferol is listed as an essential medicine on the World Health Organization (WHO) and is available as a generic medication. This supplement is also used in high doses to kill rodents.
Vitamin D (Cholecalciferol) is a fat-soluble vitamin, which helps in absorbing calcium and phosphorous in your body. If you have the right amount of calcium and phosphorous then it is beneficial to keep strong bones. It is also used in treating bone disorders including rickets and osteomalacia. This type of vitamin is made by the body when the skin is exposed to sunlight. This supplement is also used with other medicines for the treatment of low levels of phosphate or calcium due to certain disorders such as familial hypophosphatemia, and hypoparathyroidism. Vitamin D3 can be used in kidney problems to maintain the level of calcium normal for the growth of bones.
How to use –
Take this supplement via the mouth as instructed by your doctor. After a meal, vitamin D is best absorbed and can be taken with or without food. You should read and follow all the directions on your product as instructed by your doctor. If you use this medicine is in liquid form then should carefully measure the dose with the help of a special measuring device or spoon. But do not use a kitchen spoon to measure the liquid form supplement.
During treatment, if you use this medicine as a chewable tablet or wafer then chew the medicine thoroughly before swallowing. When you use rapidly dissolving tablets then should dry your hands before taking this medicine. During medication, place each dose on your tongue and allow it to dissolve completely, and swallow it with water or saliva.
Dosage instructions –
The dose of this medicine is based on your health conditions, diet, amount of sun exposure, age, and response to therapy. You take the correct dose of this medicine as prescribed by your doctor.
Miss dose –
- Take this medicine as soon as possible if you missed the dose on any day or time during medication. But do not take a double dose of this medicine to make up a dose on that day or time as it may cause unwanted side effects.
- If you take an overdose of this medicine by chance then immediately contact your doctor for medical help because it may cause severe side effects.
Side effects –
There are several side effects caused by this medicine are given below –
- Problem in breathing
- Severe dizziness
- Loss of appetite
- Mood changes
There are some of the important precautions during medication are discussed below –
- Do not take this medicine if you have an allergic problem from this supplement as it may be harmful to your health.
- If you have a liver problem, diabetes and should take caution to take liquid form medicine because it may contain alcohol and sugar.
- During medication, if you have become pregnant then discuss with your doctor about pregnancy before taking this supplement.
- This medicine should not be taken with a large amount of alcohol as it may cause severe dizziness.
- You can discuss with your doctor about your health conditions before using this medicine for any treatment.
- After taking this medicine, if you have side effects for a long period then contact to your doctor as soon as possible to prevent side effects.