Verapamil is a calcium channel blocker medicine that can be used for the treatment of angina pain, super ventricular tachycardia, and high blood pressure. This medicine can also be used for the prevention of cluster headaches, and migraines. This medicine is taken via the mouth and injection into a vein.
Verapamil was approved in the United States for medical use in the year 1981 and is listed as an essential medicine of the World Health Organization. This medicine was the 145th most commonly prescribed medicine with more than 4 million prescriptions in the United States in the year 2018 and is available as a generic medication.
Verapamil is used in the treatment of high blood pressure that helps in preventing heart attacks, strokes, and kidney problems. This medicine belongs to a group of medicines called as calcium channel blockers. The main work of this medicine is to relax blood vessels thus blood can easily flow. It is also used to prevent chest pain and may help in increasing the ability for physical exercise and lower the risk of angina attacks. This medicine also helps in controlling the heart rate when you have an irregular heartbeat such as atrial fibrillation.
How to take –
Take this medicine via the mouth with or without food, normally 3 or 4 times regularly as instructed by your doctor. To treat high blood pressure, this medicine may be taken a week before getting the full benefit of this tablet. You should take this medicine daily as prescribed by your doctor to prevent chest pain. Verapamil is used with other medicines for relieving sudden attacks as instructed by your doctor. You should not stop taking this medicine without discussing it with your doctor. If you stop taking this medicine instantly then your condition may be worsened. You should take this medicine regularly for getting the most benefit from it. But if your condition is still worsened after taking this medicine for a long time then consult with your doctor immediately.
Dosage instructions –
The dose of any medicine is mainly depending on your age, health conditions, gender, and response to therapy. But do not change the dose of this medicine without consulting with your condition.
Miss dose –
- Take this medicine as soon as possible if you miss the dose at any time during treatment. But do not take an extra dose of this medicine to make up the dose as it may cause severe side effects.
- An overdose of this medicine may cause several side effects, which are dangerous for your health. Thus, if take an overdose of this medicine by fault then immediately contact to your doctor for medical help.
Side effects –
There are some of the side effects after taking this medicine are given below –
- Problem in breathing
- Sudden weight increase
- Slow heartbeat
- Liver problem
- Loss of appetite
- Dark urine
- Stomach pain
- Yellowing eye or skin
During treatment, if you have any side effects for a long time after taking this medicine then contact to your doctor instantly for medical help.
There are some important precautions before or after taking this medicine are discussed below –
- This medicine should not be taken if you have serious any heart problem including severe heart failure, sick sinus syndrome, and slow heartbeat.
- If you have any liver or kidney problems then consult with your doctor before taking this medicine.
- You should not drive any vehicle and avoid any physical activities after taking this medicine as it can cause severe dizziness that may increase the risk of an accident or injury.
- Do not take this medicine if you have an allergic problem with this medicine as it may harmful to you.
- If you are pregnant then must consult with your doctor about benefits and risks before taking this medicine.