Vancomycin is an antibiotic medicine that can be used in the treatment of several bacterial infections. This medicine is recommended intravenously to treat bloodstream infections, bone and joint infections, complicated skin infections, meningitis, and endocarditis that is caused by methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. It is also taken via the mouth for the treatment of severe Clostridium difficile colitis.
Firstly, this medicine was sold in the year 1954 and is listed as essential medicine of the World Health Organization (WHO). WHO categorizes this medicine as very important for human beings and this medicine is available as a generic medication.
Vancomycin is used in the treatment of severe bacterial infections by preventing the growth of bacteria in the body. Generally, this medicine is given by injection into a vein. But this medicine is also taken by mouth for the treatment of a certain intestinal condition known as colitis, which can hardly occur after the treatment with antibiotics. If you take this medicine via the mouth then it prevents the growth of bacteria but it may cause several symptoms including stomach pain and diarrhea. It is important to note that this medicine is not used for viral infections such as flu and the common cold. This medicine is only used to treat bacterial infections.
How to take –
Generally this medicine is taken in the form of injection into a vein as per instructed by your doctor. Each dose of this medicine should be injected slowly for at least 1 hour. During treatment, if you use this medicine at home, then should learn all preparation and usage instruction from your doctor. You should check the product visually for discoloration or particles before using this medicine. Do not use the liquid if any particles are found. If you use the frozen mixed liquid then warm the medicine at room temperature before taking it. You should not warm in microwave or a water bath. After warming, should shake well and squeeze the bottle for checking leaks. If the container leaks, you should reject the solution and not freeze it again after warming. If you take this medicine via the mouth then should follow the doctor’s instructions to take the mixed liquid. During medication, when you take this medicine by mouth then it should first be mixed with water.
Dosage instructions –
The dose of any medicine plays an important role in the treatment of severe diseases that depend on your health conditions and age. If you are a new user of this medicine then start medication with a low dose to reduce the risk of side effects.
Miss dose –
- Take this medicine as soon as possible if you miss the dose of this medicine. But do not take an extra dose of this medicine to cover the dose.
- If you take an overdose of this medicine then contact to your doctor immediately for medical help because it may cause unwanted severe side effects that are very harmful to your health.
Side effects –
There are several side effects of this medicine are given below –
- Blurred vision
- Muscle pain
- Kidney problems
- Hearing loss
- Yeast infection
- Problem in breathing
There are some important precautions before or after using this medicine are given below –
- If you have a problem of hearing loss, or kidney problem then should consult with your doctor before using this medicine.
- Do not take this medicine for any treatment if you have an allergic problem with this medicine.
- After taking this medicine, you should not drive any vehicle and also avoid physical activities as this medicine may cause sleepiness or dizziness that may be responsible for an accident or any injury.
- You should consult with your doctor if you are pregnant before taking this medicine as it may harm your unborn baby.
- During treatment, do not take this medicine if you are suffering from several side effects for a long period.