Ursodiol is also known as ursodeoxycholic acid and is a secondary bile acid that is produced in humans and other species by intestinal bacteria through metabolism. This medicine is synthesized in the liver in some species. It was first identified in bear bile that is the origin of its name Ursus. This medicine is used in preventing several diseases of the liver or bile ducts. It is store at room temperature and is protected from heat and moisture.
Ursodiol is used in dissolving certain types of gallstones for preventing gallstones to form in obese patients that are reducing weight fast. This medicine is used in the treatment of certain types of liver disease. It is a bile acid, which reduces the amount of cholesterol produced by the liver and absorbed by the intestines. This medicine helps in breaking down cholesterol, which has formed into stones in the gallbladder. It also enhances bile flow in those patients who have primary biliary cirrhosis. This medicine is also used in the treatment of biliary cirrhosis.
How to take –
Take this medicine via the mouth as instructed by your doctor. This medicine should not be taken if you have an allergic problem to this drug. You must read and follow all the instructions that are posted on your prescription label before taking this medicine. Take this medicine as a whole with a full glass of water. You should take this medicine regularly for getting the most benefit from it. You can take this medicine for some months to treat the problem of gallstones. After treatment, it may be possible to develop gallstones again within 5 years so ask your doctor about any risks. When you use this medicine, you should also blood tests for checking liver functions.
Dosage instructions –
The dose of this medicine is depending on the past or present medical conditions and response to treatment. You can start this medicine with a low dose to prevent the risk of side effects and gradually increase the dose as directed by your doctor.
– if you miss the dose then take this medicine as soon as possible when you remember. But do not take a double dose of this medicine to make up the dose as it may harmful to your health.
– The overdose of medicine causes severe diarrhea and other symptoms. So, if you take an overdose of this medicine then talk to your doctor immediately for medical help.
There are some of the side effects after taking this medicine are given below –
- Hair loss
- Stomach upset
- Back pain
- Sore throat
- Problem in breathing
- Severe dizziness
- Increased thirst
- Stuffy nose
- Mild stomach pain
- Liver problems
If you are suffering from any severe side effects then instantly contact to your doctor for medical help.
There are some of the precautions before using Ursodiol are given below –
- Do not take this medicine if you have an allergic problem with this medicine.
- If you are suffering from any gallbladder or duct problems such as biliary obstruction, biliary gastrointestinal, acute cholecystitis, and many more then consult with your doctor before taking this medicine.
- You should avoid driving any vehicle after taking this medicine as it can cause dizziness or sleepiness that increases the chances of an injury or accident.
- If you are breastfeeding a baby then consult with your doctor before taking this medicine as it can pass into breast milk that is harmful to a nursing baby.
- Do not take a large amount of alcohol during medication as it may cause side effects that are not good for your health.
- After taking this medicine if your condition is not improved then consult with your doctor to resolve this problem.
- Before taking this medicine, if you are pregnant then discuss it with your doctor as it may harm your unborn baby.
- You should not enhance the dose of this medicine without consult with your doctor as it may dangerous for you.