Tylenol is a brand of medicine that is promoted for lowering fever, and reducing pain. The active product of this medicine is paracetamol, which is also known as acetaminophen in Canada, the United States, and several other countries. Tylenol is a brand name and is derived from a chemical name for the compound N-acetyl-para-aminophenol (APAP) that is owned by Mc Neil Consumer Healthcare, a subsidiary of Johnson & Johnson.
Paracetamol is the main ingredient of Tylenol, is widely used in relieving pain and reducing fever. This medicine is also used in relieving the symptoms of headache, cold cough, influenza, and allergies. It works as an antipyretic (lowers fever) and analgesic (relieving pain). Tylenol is used in the treatment of arthritis, toothaches, sore throat, fever, headache, and flu.
How to take –
Take this medicine as a whole or split tablet without crushing or chewing with a full glass of water as instructed by your doctor. You should read and follow the instructions on your prescriptions before taking this medicine. There are several brands of this medicine are available in the market so, you should read the dosing instructions very carefully for each product due to the amount of acetaminophen are present in different between products. If you use this medicine is in the liquid form then should measure carefully with the help of a provided spoon and do not use a household spoon because it cannot measure the correct dose of this medicine.
If this medicine is used in the first symptom of pain, then it works best. But if the symptoms are worsened then this medicine may not work as well. After taking this medicine, if your condition worsens or new symptoms occur then consult with your doctor.
Dosage instructions –
The dose plays an important role in the treatment of any disease. You should take the correct dose of this medicine for the treatment as prescribed by your doctor. But do not increase the dose of this medicine without consultation with your doctor.
– If you miss the dose anytime then take this medicine as soon as possible. But do not take a double dose of this medicine as it may cause unwanted side effects.
– The overdose of any medicine causes severe side effects that are harmful to your health. So, if you take an overdose of this medicine and feel any side effects then immediately contact to your doctor for medical help.
There are several side effects of this medicine are given below –
- Problem in breathing
- Swelling in your tongue, throat, face, or lips
- Stomach pain
- Dark urine
- Loss of appetite
If you feel any side effects after taking this medicine then consult with your doctor as soon as possible for medical help.
There are some precautions taken by you before or after taking Tylenol medicine are discussed below –
- Do not take this medicine if you have any liver problems as the overdose of this medicine can harm your liver and may cause death.
- You should stop taking this medicine if you are suffering from skin redness or a rash that spreads and may cause peeling or blistering.
- This medicine should be avoided if you have an allergic problem to this medicine.
- You should talk to your doctor about your past or present health conditions before taking this medicine.
- If you are pregnant then should consult with your doctor before taking this medicine as it may harm your unborn baby.
- Do not take this medicine with alcohol as it may cause unwanted side effects, which is not good for your health.
You can consult with your physician if you are breastfeeding to your baby before taking this medicine.