It is an opioid pain medication that can be used for the treatment of moderate to moderately severe pain and is sold under the brand name Ultram. If you take this medicine then the onset of pain relief usually starts within an hour and is available by injection. This medicine may be sold in a combination of paracetamol (acetaminophen), or as longer-acting formulations.
In the year 1963, Tramadol was patented and West German pharmaceutical company Grunenthal GmbH had introduced this medicine under the name ‘’Tramal’’ in the year 1977. This medicine was approved in the United States and the United Kingdom in the mid-1990s. Tylenol is available as a generic medication that is marketed under several brand names all over the world.
Tramadol is used mainly in the treatment of mild to severe pain both acute and chronic. FDA does not approve this medicine to use as a second-line treatment of fibromyalgia. But it can be approved in the treatment of fibromyalgia as a secondary painkiller by the NHS. The analgesic effects of this medicine take about an hour to come into effect between 2 and 4 hours after taking with an immediate-release formulation. Tramadol contains around one-tenth the potency of morphine and is practically equally potent when compared with codeine and pethidine.
How to take –
Take this medicine via mouth as instructed by your doctor normally every 4 to 6 hours for pain relief. This medicine can be taken with or without food but if you are suffering from nausea then this tablet should be taken with food. If you take the liquid form of this medicine then should carefully measure the dose of this medicine by using a special measuring device or spoon. You should not measure the liquid form of this medicine by household spoon as it may not measure the correct dose.
Dosage instructions –
The dose of this medicine is depending on your past or present health conditions, age, and response to treatment. You should start this medication with a low dose to lower the risk of side effects. After that, you can enhance the dose of this medicine gradually as instructed by your doctor. The maximum recommended dose of this medicine is 400 milligrams in one day. But if you are older than 75 years then the maximum recommended dose of this medicine is 300 milligrams in one day. Do not increase the dose of this medicine without consultation with your doctor.
– Take the medicine instantly to make up for the missed dose of this medicine. But do not take a double dose of this medicine as it may harmful to your health.
– The overdose of this medicine is dangerous to your health as it may cause severe side effects. If you take an overdose of this medicine then immediately talk to your doctor for medical help.
There are some of the side effects of Tramadol medicine are given below –
- Sleep apnea
- Stomach pain
- Weight loss
- Loss of appetite
If you have any side effects after using this medicine then talk to your doctor immediately for any medical help.
There are some of the precautions before taking this medicine are given below –
- If you are allergic to this medicine then talk to your doctor before taking this medicine.
- During medication, do not take a large amount of alcohol as it may cause severe side effects that are harmful to your health.
- You can discuss your past or present health conditions or medical history with your doctor before taking this medicine.
- Do not drive any vehicle and avoid any physical activities after taking this medicine as it may cause severe dizziness that may risk an accident.
- You can consult with your doctor about this medicine If you are pregnant before using this medicine for treatment as it can harm your unborn baby.
- Do not take this medicine if you are breastfeeding a child as it may pass into breast milk and harmful effects on a nursing infant.
- You should follow all the instructions on your prescriptions before using this medicine for treatment.