Tizanidine is one of the medicines, which can be used in the treatment of muscle spasticity due to multiple sclerosis or spinal cord injury and is sold under the brand name Zanaflex. In the year 1996, this medicine was approved in the United States for medical use. Tizanidine was the 86th most usually prescribed medicine in the United States with more than 8 million prescriptions in the year 2018 and available as a generic medication.
Uses of medicine –
This medicine is a short-acting muscle relaxer and works by blocking nerve impulses, which are sent to the brain. It should be taken only for regular activities, which need relief from muscle spasticity. Do not take this medicine if you use ciprofloxacin (Cipro) or fluvoxamine (Luvox).
How to take –
This medicine should be taken every 6 to 8 hours by mouth as directed by your doctor. You should follow the guidelines on your prescriptions and discuss about past or present health conditions before taking this medicine. Do not take alcohol at the time of medication as it may increase the risk of side effects. Take this medicine as a whole with a full glass of water. Do not dissolve, chew, and break this medicine.
Dosage instructions –
The dose of this medicine is based on the age and past or present health conditions of a person. To prevent or lower the risk of side effects, you should start this medication with a low dose and slowly increase the dose of this medicine as per directed by your doctor. This medicine should be taken as a whole with or without food. Do not stop this medicine immediately without consulting with your doctor.
– if you miss the dose of this medicine during treatment then take this medicine as soon as possible. But do not take an extra dose of this medicine to make up for the skipped dose as it may harmful for you.
– The overdose of this medicine may cause confusion, problem in breathing, drowsiness, irregular heart rate, and fainting. Thus, if you take the overdose of this medicine then consult your doctor immediately.
There are some of the side effects after using this medicine are listed below –
- Dry mouth
- Increased muscle spasms
- Back pain
- Stomach upset
After taking this medicine, if you feel any one of the side effects then contact your doctor immediately.
There are some of the precautions for those people who use Tizanidine Tablet are as given below –
- Do not take this medicine if you use another medicine such as ciprofloxacin (Cipro), and fluvoxamine (Luvox).
- You should avoid alcohol at the time of medication as it may increase the risk of side effects which is not good for your health.
- Before using this drug, you should discuss with your doctor about past or present health conditions.
- If you are suffering from any liver or kidney problem then discuss with your doctor before using this medicine.
- You should talk to your doctor if you are pregnant before using this medicine for treatment as it may harm an unborn baby.
- Do not drive any vehicle or avoid physical activities after taking this medicine as this drug may cause dizziness or sleepiness that increase the risk of an accident.
- After taking this medicine, if you are suffering from any side effects then contact your doctor immediately.
- You should not take more than three doses (36mg) of this medicine in one day as it may damage your liver.
- Do not enhance the dose of this medicine without consultation with your doctor as it may harmful for you.
- You must follow all the instructions on prescriptions before taking this medicine.
- If this medicine may cause stomach upset, then this medicine should be taken with food.
- Do not use this medicine if you are allergic to this drug as it may harm your health.
This medicine may not safe for those women who are breastfeeding.