Terbinafine is an antifungal medicine that can be used in the treatment of fungal nail infections, pityriasis versicolor, and ringworm including athlete’s foot, and jock itch. This medicine is taken via the mouth or also use as applied to the skin as an ointment or cream. The ointment and cream are very effective for nail infections. This medicine should be store at room temperature that can be protected from heat, light, and moisture.
Terbinafine was developed in the year 1991 and is also listed as an essential medicine of the World Health Organization (WHO). It was the 307th usually prescribed medicine with more than one million prescriptions in the United States.
Terbinafine is used in the treatment of several fungal infections such as toenail or fingernail by preventing the growth of fungus and belongs to a group of medicines known as antifungals. Terbinafine oral granules are helpful to treat fungal infection of scalp hair follicles in those children whose are 4 years old.
How to take –
Take this medicine via the mouth with or without food as instructed by your doctor. This medicine takes several months to treat any fungal disease during treatment as it takes time to grow healthy nails and replace the infected nails. During medication, you should take one tablet once a day as directed by your doctor. Normally, this medicine is taken for 6 weeks in a treatment of fingernail or scalp infections, and use for 12 weeks in a treatment of a toenail infection. If you skip the dose due to any reason then it enhances the risk of infections. It is important to note that this medicine is not used in the treatment of viral infections such as the common cold and flu.
Do not stop taking this medicine immediately too early that allows the fungus to regrow, which can result in the return of the infection. After using this medicine if your condition is not improved then consult with your doctor immediately.
Dosage instructions –
The dose plays a significant role in the treatment of any severe diseases that depend on your health conditions and response to treatment. Thus, you should take the right dose of this medicine as directed by your doctor.
Miss dose –
- Take this medicine as soon as you remember if you miss the dose. You skipped the missed dose and should take the next dose at a regular time. But do not take a double dose of this medicine as it may cause side effects.
- If you take an overdose of this medicine and suffering from severe symptoms such as difficulty in breathing then consult with your doctor immediately for medical help.
Side effects –
There are several side effects of this medicine are given below –
- Stomach upset
- Vision problem
- Liver problem
- Dark urine
- Difficulty in breathing
There are several important precautions taken by patients when they use this medicine are given below –
- If you have a liver problem after taking this medicine then immediately consult with your doctor as it may cause severe liver disease that may lead to liver transplant or death.
- Do not take this medicine if you have an allergic problem with this drug as it may be very harmful to your health.
- You should read and follow all the directions on your prescriptions before taking this medicine.
- This medicine should not be taken with a large amount of alcohol because it may enhance the risk of getting side effects.
- If you have become pregnant during treatment then should consult with your doctor before taking this medicine due to it may harm your unborn baby.
- Do not take this medicine if you are breastfeeding a baby child and consult with your doctor as this tablet passes into breast milk that is not good for infant health.