Tamoxifen is a selective estrogen receptor modulator that can be used in preventing breast cancer in women and is sold under the brand name Nolvadex. This medicine is also used for Albright syndrome. It is taken via the mouth regularly to treat breast cancer for five years.
Chemist Dora Richardson was initially made this medicine in the year 1962 and is available as a generic medication. Tamoxifen was listed as an essential medicine by the World Health Organization (WHO). This medicine was the 251st most commonly prescribed medication with more than one million prescriptions in the United States in the year 2017.
Tamoxifen is a medicine, which can be used in the treatment of breast cancer. This medicine also lowers the chances of getting breast cancer in high-risk patients. It may block the growth of breast cancer. The main function of this medicine is to interfere with the effects of estrogen in the breast tissue.
How to take –
Take this medicine via the mouth with or without food for five years as per instructed by your doctor. You should take this medicine with regularly more than 20 milligrams are normally divided in half and taken double, in the evening and morning as directed by your doctor. If you use this medicine as a liquid form then should carefully measure the dose with the help of a special measuring device or spoon. But do not use a household spoon to measure the liquid dose as it may not get the correct dose. The time of treatment to prevent breast cancer may be 5 to 10 years that depends on your past or present health conditions and response to therapy. You should take this medicine daily for getting the most benefit from it.
You can start taking this medicine when you are suffering from breast cancer, which has spread to other parts of the body and you may feel cancer pain. After taking this medicine, if your condition is not improved then consult with your doctor.
Dosage instructions –
The dose of any medicine is based on your age, gender, health conditions, and response to therapy. You must take the correct dose of this medicine in the treatment of breast cancer.
Miss dose- Advertisement -
– Take this medicine as soon as possible if you miss the dose at any time to complete the dose of this medicine. But do not take an extra dose of this medicine as it may cause side effects.
– If you take an overdose of this medicine then immediately consult with your doctor as it may cause side effects, which are harmful to your health.
There are several side effects after using this medicine are given below –
- Hair thinning
- Leg cramps
- Muscle aches
- Eye pain’
- Blurred vision
- Abdominal pain
If you have any one of the side effects after using this medicine then contact to your doctor as soon as possible.
There are several important precautions before or after taking this medicine are given below –
- Do not take this medicine if you are allergic to this medicine as it may harmful for your health.
- You should consult with your doctor about your past or present medical conditions before taking this medicine.
- If you are pregnant then you should consult with your doctor before taking this medicine as it may harm your unborn baby.
- Do not take this medicine if you are suffering from a blood clot or stroke and consult with your doctor.
- You must read and follow all the instructions on your prescriptions before taking this medicine.
- If you are breastfeeding your baby then you should consult with your doctor before taking this medicine as it may harm your infant.
You can discuss with your doctor about your prescriptions including this medicine before having surgery.