Suboxone is also known as Buprenorphine that can be used in the treatment of opioid use disorder, chronic pain, and acute pain. This medicine was patented in the year 1965 and is approved for medical use in the United States in the year 1981. About 14.6 million prescriptions for the medication were written in the United States in the year 2017.
Suboxone contains a combination of naloxone and buprenorphine and can be used in the treatment of opioid use disorder such as addiction to heroin. Buprenorphine belongs to a class of drugs known as mixed opioids against antagonists and helps in preventing withdrawal symptoms due to suddenly stopping other opioids. You should keep this medicine in a safe to prevent theft, abuse, or misuse.
Naloxone is an opioids antagonist, which prevents the effect of opioids. It may cause severe opioid withdrawal after injected and withdrawal is reduced when this medicine is taken through the mouth or dissolved under the tongue. When naloxone is combined with buprenorphine for preventing abuse and misuse of this medication.
How to take –
You should read and follows all the instructions on your product label before taking this medicine. It can be taken either dissolved in the cheek or under the tongue. Take this medicine as instructed by your doctor and usually take one medicine regularly. You should drink some water for moistening your mouth before taking this medicine. After taking this medicine under your tongue, do not swallow, chew, and talk as it will not work well. You should take this medicine regularly for getting the most benefit from it.
Dosage instructions –
The dose of this medicine is depending on the past or present health conditions, age, and response to therapy. Do not stop taking this medicine suddenly as it may cause withdrawal symptoms such as runny nose, nausea, watery eyes, and many more. Thus, you should take this medicine with a low dose and gradually increase the dose as instructed by your doctor.
– If you miss the dose then take this medicine as soon as possible to make up the dose. But do not take a double dose of this medicine as it may cause side effects that are not good for your health.
Overdose- Advertisement -
– An overdose of this medicine causes severe side effects that may harmful to your health. So, if you take an overdose of this medicine then immediately talk with your doctor for medical help.
There are some of the side effects after taking this medicine are given below –
- Weight loss
- Sleep apnea
- Problem in breathing
- Dark urine
- Irregular heartbeat
- Stomach upset
- Yellowing skin or eyes
After using this medicine for treatment, if you have any one of the side effects for a long time then immediately consult with your doctor for medical help.
There are some of the precautions before taking Suboxone medicine are given below –
- This medicine should not be taken if you are an allergic problem with naloxone or buprenorphine as it may cause allergic problems that are not good for your health.
- If you are suffering from severe diseases such as breathing problems, liver or kidney disease then consult with your doctor before taking this medicine.
- Do not drive any vehicle or also avoid any physical activities after taking this medicine as it may cause sleepiness or dizziness that increases the possibility of an injury or accident.
- You should not take alcohol at a time of medication due to it may cause unwanted side effects that are harmful to your health.
- If you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant then should consult with your doctor before taking this medicine as it may harm your unborn baby with any birth defects.
- Do not take this medicine if you are breastfeeding a child as it may pass into breast milk and harmful effects on a nursing infant.
- You should not start medication without a prescription due to the misuse of this medicine may cause addiction or death.