Sertraline is an antidepressant of the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) class and is sold under the brand name Zoloft. The effectiveness of this medicine for depression is the same as that of other antidepressants but differences in side effects. Scientists of Pfizer invented this medicine and approved it for medical use in the United States in the year 1991. Sertraline was the 14th most commonly prescribed medication in the United States in the year 2018 with over 38 million prescriptions and is available as a generic medication.
This medicine is used in the treatment of panic attacks, social anxiety disorder, depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder, severe form of premenstrual syndrome, and post-traumatic stress disorder. Sertraline can improve the sleep appetite, mood, and energy level that are beneficial in restoring awareness in daily living. This medication can lower anxiety, fear, panic attacks, and unwanted thoughts. It can also decrease the need for performing repeated task compulsions including checking, hand-washing, and counting, which interfere with daily living.
Sertraline is also called a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) and works by helping in restoring the balance of a certain natural substance (serotonin) in the brain.
How to take –
Take this medicine as a whole with a full glass of water. But do not break, chew, or crush before taking this medicine. This medicine should be taken via mouth as instructed by your doctor. You should take this medicine once daily either in the evening or morning. This medicine may be available in tablet or liquid form and can be taken with or without food but the capsule should be taken with food. Before using, the liquid form of this medicine should be mixed with another liquid. During medication, you should carefully measure the dose by using the medicine dropper provided. But do not use a normal or household spoon to measure the dose of this medicine. You must take this medicine daily for getting the most benefit from it. Do not suddenly stop taking this medicine without discussing it with your doctor as it may cause several symptoms including headache, sleep disorder, mood changes, and tiredness.
Dosage instructions –
The dose of this medicine is prescribed which is based on the age and past or present health conditions of a person. You should take this medication with a low dose to prevent the side effects of this medicine. After that, you can gradually increase the dose of this medicine as directed by your doctor.
– Take the dose as soon as possible if you missed the dose of this medicine. You should not take a double dose for making up the missed dose.
Overdose- Advertisement -
– If you take the overdose of this medicine then consult your doctor immediately for any trouble.
There are some of the side effects of this medicine are as given below –
- Increased sweating
- Problem in sleeping
- Dry mouth
- Loss of appetite
- Reduce interest in sex
- Stomach upset
- Blurred vision
If you are suffering from any side effects after using this medicine then contact your doctor for medical help.
There are some of the precautions of Sertraline tablet are as given below –
- Do not take this medicine if you have any allergic problems as this tablet has inactive ingredients such as latex that may cause allergic reactions.
- You should consult with your doctor about health conditions or family history before taking this medicine.
- Do not use this medicine together with MAO inhibitor medication due to this combination may cause serotonin syndrome.
- After taking this medicine, do not drive any vehicle or avoid physical activities because this drug can cause dizziness or sleepiness.
- During treatment, do not change or increase the dose of this medicine as it may harmful to your health.
- You should take medical help if you are suffering from any symptoms of serotonin syndrome such as irregular heart rate, fever, hallucinations, nausea, and many more.
- This medicine should not be given to those people who are younger than 18 years old without consultation with their doctor.
Do not take a large amount of alcohol at the time of medication as it may cause side effects which are not good for your health.