Robaxin is also known as Methocarbamol, is a medicine that can be used for the short-term treatment of musculoskeletal pain. This medicine may be used together as a pain medication and rest physical therapy and is less preferred in low back pain. Robaxin has restricted use for cerebral palsy and rheumatoid arthritis. The effects of this medicine are normally within 30 minutes and are taken through the mouth or by injection into a vein.
Robaxin was approved in the United States for medical use in the year 1957 and is available as a generic medication. This medicine was the 120th most commonly prescribed medicine with more than 5 million prescriptions in the United States in the year 2018. It is store at room temperature that is protected from heat and moisture.
Robaxin is a muscle relaxant that can be used in treating severe painful musculoskeletal spasms. The injection of this medicine can have a beneficial effect in controlling neuromuscular spasms of tetanus. Robaxin is not helpful in chronic neurological disorders including dyskinesias, or cerebral palsy. The main work of this medicine is to relax the muscles to treat pain. You should keep the bottle tightly when this medicine is not in use.
How to take –
Take this medicine via the mouth as instructed by your doctor. This medicine can be taken with or without food during treatment. You should read and follows all the instructions on your prescription label before taking this medicine. Robaxin has also been used as an injection into a muscle or vein for the treatment of musculoskeletal pain. Before you start taking the medicine in oral form, generally the injection is given as a single dose.
Dosage instructions –
The dose of any medicine is based on your gender, age, past or present health conditions, and response to therapy. But do not increase the dose of this medicine without consultation with your doctor as it may cause side effects.
Miss dose –
- Take this medicine as soon as possible if you miss the dose at any time during treatment. But do not take a double dose of this medicine as it may cause unwanted side effects, which is not good for your health.
- The overdose of this medicine causes severe side effects that are dangerous for your health. Thus, if you take an overdose of this medicine by fault and may feel any side effects then call to your doctor as soon as possible for medical help.
Side effects –
There are some of the side effects after taking this medicine are given below –
- Blurred vision
- Stomach upset
- Mood changes
- Slow heartbeat
- Difficulty in breathing
If you may feel any one of the side effects for a long time after taking this medicine then consult with your doctor as soon as possible to prevent side effects.
There are some of the important precautions before or after taking this medicine are given below –
- This medicine should not be taken for treatment if you are allergic to this methocarbamol as it may not good for your health.
- Do not take this medicine with a large amount of alcohol as it may increase the risk of getting side effects.
- During medication, do not drive any one of the vehicles or avoid any physical activities due to this medicine lowers the alertness ad may feel sleepiness that can enhance the risk of an accident or any injury.
- Do not change the dose of this medicine without discussing it with your doctor as it may harmful to you.
- You should discuss with your doctor about your medical history before taking this medicine for treatment.
- If you are pregnant then should discuss with your about benefits and disadvantages before taking this medicine as it may harm your unborn baby.
- Do not take this medicine if you are breastfeeding to a child as it may pass into breast milk and have adverse effects on your unborn baby.