Ranolazine is a medicine that can be used in the treatment of heart-related chest pain. It was approved in the United States in the year 2006 for medical use and is sold under the brand name Ranexa. This medicine was the 273rd most commonly prescribed medication with more than one million prescriptions in the United States in the year 2017.
Ranolazine is used for the treatment of chest pain that is associated with the heart and relieves the symptoms of angina pain by regularly exercise and perform strenuous work. This medicine works differently as compared with other drugs for angina thus, it can be used with your other angina medications including nitrates, and calcium channel blockers. The main work of this medicine is to improve the heart use of oxygen thus it may do more work by using less oxygen.
How to take –
Take this medicine via the mouth twice regularly with or without food as instructed by your doctor. During medication, you should take this medicine as a whole but do not chew, crush, and break this tablet. You should not take grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice when you use Ranolazine for the treatment of heart-related chest pain. Do not take more than prescribed medicine by your doctor as it may harmful for you. You should take this medicine daily for getting the most benefit from it. This medicine should not be used for the treatment of angina. There are other several medicines (including nitroglycerin and sublingual) in relieving angina attacks as instructed by your doctor. You should not abruptly stop taking this medicine without discussing it with your doctor. But if your condition is not improved after taking this medicine then consult with your doctor immediately.
Dosage instructions –
The dose of this medicine may depend on your previous or current health conditions, age, use of other medicines, and response to treatment. You must take the correct dose of this medicine as prescribed by your doctor.
Miss dose –
- If you miss a dose of this medicine any time then skip the missed dose. After that, you should take the next dose of this medicine at a regular time. But do not take a double dose of this medicine to make up the dose as it may be harmful to you.
- When you take an overdose of this medicine and cause several unwanted side effects then consult with your doctor immediately for medical help.
Side effects –
After using this medicine, it may cause several side effects during treatment are given below –
- Kidney problems
- Blurred vision
- Swelling of ankles or feet
- Irregular heartbeat
- Difficulty in breathing
- Weight gain
There are several important precautions before or after taking this medicine are given below –
- If you are suffering from kidney problems then consult with your doctor before taking this medicine.
- This medicine should not be taken if you have an allergic problem from this medicine s it may cause unwanted side effects.
- After taking this medicine, do not drive any vehicle or avoid any physical activities due to this medicine causes severe dizziness that may increase the risk of an accident or injury.
- Do not take this medicine with a large amount of alcohol as it may cause severe side effects that may be harmful to your health.
- You should avoid this medicine if you are suffering from cirrhosis of the liver.
- During medication, if you have side effects for a long period after taking this medicine then consult with your doctor as soon as possible to prevent side effects.
- You must discuss with your doctor about your medical conditions before taking this medicine as it may be dangerous to your health.
- If you become pregnant during treatment then consult with your doctor before taking this medicine due to this drug may harm your unborn baby.