Pregabalin is an anticonvulsant and anxiolytic medicine that can be used in the treatment of fibromyalgia, epilepsy, generalized anxiety disorder, neuropathic pain, and restless leg syndrome. If this medicine is used before surgery, then it decreases the pain but results in visual disturbances and greater sedation.
This medicine was permitted in the United States for medical use in the year 2004 and was developed as a successor to gabapentin. Pregabalin is available as a generic medicine in several countries including the United States since 2019. It was the 70th most commonly prescribed medicine with more than 11 million prescriptions in the United States in the year 2018. This medicine should be store at room temperature that is protected from light, moisture, and heat.
This medicine is used in treating pain that is caused by nerve pain or fibromyalgia especially in those people who have spinal cord injury, diabetes, and herpes zoster. The main work of this medicine is to slow down impulses in the brain, which causes seizures. This medicine also affects chemicals in the brain, which send a pain signal to the nervous system. It is also used with other medicines for the treatment of partial-onset seizures in children and adults that are at least 1 month old.
How to take –
You must read and follow all instructions on your prescriptions label before taking this medicine for any treatment. This medicine should be taken as a whole without chewing, breaking, or crushing. If you use this medicine in liquid form then should measure the dose with a special device or spoon. But do not use a household spoon for measuring the dose of this medicine. During treatment, you can take this medicine with or without food. If you feel fine then do not stop taking this medicine suddenly without consult with your doctor as it may cause increased seizures and withdrawal symptoms such as nausea, diarrhea, problem in sleeping, and headache. After taking this medicine, if your condition is not improved then consult with your doctor.
Dosage instructions –
The dose of this medicine is mainly depending on your age, medical conditions, and response to treatment. This medicine should be taken with a low dose to lower the risk of any unwanted side effects.
Miss dose –
- If you miss the dose on any day then take this medicine immediately to cover the dose on that day. But do not take a double dose of this medicine as it may cause side effects.
- The overdose of this medicine causes several unwanted side effects that are harmful to your health. So, if you take an overdose of this medicine then contact to your doctor as soon as possible for medical help.
Side effects –
There are some side effects after using this medicine are given below –
- Dry mouth
- Weight gain
- Vison problem
- Muscle pain
- Unusual tiredness
- Bipolar disorder
- Suicidal thoughts
If you are suffering from any one of the side effects after taking this medicine then immediately contact to your doctor for medical help.
There are several important precautions before or after taking this medicine are discussed below –
- You should not take this medicine if you have an allergic problem with this drug as it may harmful to your health.
- Do not take this medicine if you have the problem of mood disorders, suicidal thoughts, and severe depression.
- If you are suffering from any heart or kidney problem then consult with your doctor before using this medicine.
- During medication, do not drive any vehicle or avoid physical activities after taking this medicine as it may cause sleepiness that may responsible for an accident.
- This medicine should not be taken with alcohol as it may cause unwanted side effects, which is not good for your health.
- Do not take this medicine if you have a problem in breathing because this medicine can cause breathing problems.