Phentermine is a medicine that can be used together with exercise and diet for the treatment of obesity and is sold under the brand name lonamin. This medicine was approved in the United States for medical use in the year 1959. Phentermine was the 168th most commonly prescribed medicine with more than 3 million prescriptions in the United States in the year 2018 and is available as a generic medication.
Phentermine is used in lowering weight by using a calorie diet program and exercise as instructed by your doctor. Overweight or fat people use this medicine to reduce the weight as obesity may increase the risk of other severe diseases such as diabetes, heart problem, high blood pressure, and many more. The main work of this medicine is to reduce appetite, enhance the amount of energy that is used by the body. Phentermine is an appetite suppressant that belongs to s class of drugs known as sympathomimetic amines.
How to take –
Take this medicine an hour before breakfast or 1 or 2 hours after breakfast and usually once a day as instructed by your doctor. Do not take this medicine late in the day as it may cause insomnia (problem in sleeping). But if you use sustained-release capsules then the medicine is taken once a day before breakfast or 10 to 14 hours before bedtime. This medicine should be taken as a whole with a full glass of water. Do not crush, break, and chew this medicine as it may increase the risk of side effects. If you take this medicine is dissolved it in the mouth then this tablet should be taken once a day in the morning with or without food. You should take this medicine daily as per directed by your doctor for getting the most benefit. Do not suddenly stop taking this medicine as it may have withdrawal symptoms including severe tiredness, and depression. Do not take a large amount of alcohol due to it may cause side effects.
Dosage instructions –
The dosage of this medicine is depending on age, health conditions, and response to treatment. If you are a new user of this medicine then start with a low dose to reduce the effect of side effects. After that, you can gradually increase the dose of this medicine as per consultation with your doctor. But do not increase the dose of this medicine without consultation with your doctor due to it can cause side effects.
– Take this medicine as soon as possible if you miss the dose of this medicine then wait for the next dose. But you should not take a double dose of this medicine as it may harmful for you.
– The overdose of this medicine causes nausea, diarrhea, stomach cramps, and many more. So, if you take the overdose of this medicine then talk to your doctor immediately for medical help.
There are some of the side effects after taking Phentermine medicine during treatment are listed below –
- Dry mouth
- Problem in sleeping
- High blood pressure
- Irregular heartbeat
- Reduce interest in sex
If you are suffering from any one of the side effects then contact your doctor immediately for medical help.
There are some of the precautions before taking this medicine for treatment are listed below –
- This medicine should not be taken if you are suffering from severe disease including heart problems, high blood pressure, glaucoma, and many more.
- Do not take this medicine if you have used an MAO inhibitor in the last 14 days.
- If you have an allergic problem with this medicine then you should avoid this medicine.
- You should not drive any vehicle or avoid any physical activities after taking this medicine as it may cause sleepiness or dizziness that more chances of an accident.
- If you take this medicine regularly then check your blood pressure daily due to this medicine may cause high blood pressure which is not good for your health.
- Do not increase the dose of this medicine during treatment as it may cause severe side effects.
You should stop this medicine if you have any serious side effects including weakness, severe headache, blurred vision, and many more.