Paxil is also known as Paroxetine and is an antidepressant of the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) class. This medicine is used in the treatment of a panic disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, main depressive disorder, anxiety disorder, posttraumatic stress disorder, premenstrual dysphoric disorder, and obsessive-compulsive disorder. The main work of this medicine is to help for restoring the balance of a certain natural substance (serotonin) in the brain. It can improve sleep quality, mood, and energy level. This drug can reduce unwanted thoughts, panic attacks anxiety, and fear. Paxil can lower premenstrual symptoms including depression, irritability, and increased appetite. It can also use to treat premature ejaculation and hot flashes due to menopause.
This medicine was approved in the United States for medical use in the year 1992 that initially sold by GlaxoSmithKline. Paxil was the 74th commonly prescribed medicine with more than 11 million prescriptions in the United States in the year 2018 and is available as a generic medication.
How to take –
Take this medicine via mouth with or without food as instructed by your doctor. You should take only one tablet in the morning. This medicine should be taken as a whole with a full glass of water. Do not break, dissolve, crush and chew this medicine that may increase the risk of side effects. You should not suddenly stop taking this medicine without consulting with your doctor. If you take this medicine with food then may reduce nausea. Do not change or increase the dose of this medicine without consultation with your doctor. You should discuss with your doctor about your medical conditions before using this medicine. Take this medicine regularly for getting the most benefit from it.
Dosage instructions –
The dose of this medicine can depend on the age and health conditions of an individual. If you are a new user of this medicine then should take a low dose to lower the risk of side effects. After that, you can gradually increase the dose of this medicine as per consultation with your doctor.
– Take this medicine as soon as possible if you miss the dose of this medicine. Do not take a double dose of this medicine when you skipped the dose.
– The overdose of this medicine can be causing several severe side effects that are dangerous for your health and also may be fatal. Thus, if you take an overdose of this medicine then contact your doctor immediately for medical help.
There are some of the side effects after taking this medicine for treatment are listed below
- Problem in sleeping
- Dry mouth
- Blurred vision
- Loss of appetite
- Irregular heartbeat
- Sexual dysfunction
If you have any side effects after taking this medicine then contact your doctor immediately.
There are some of the precautions before taking this medicine are listed below –
- You should obey all the instructions on your prescriptions before taking this medicine.
- This medicine should not be taken if you have an allergic problem to this drug.
- Do not take a large amount of alcohol with this medicine due to it may cause side effects, which are not good for your health.
- You should not drive any vehicle or avoid any physical activities after taking this medicine as it may cause dizziness or sleepiness that can risk an accident.
- If you have any side effects after using Paxil then consult your doctor immediately for medical help.
- You should not stop taking this medicine without discussing it with your doctor as it may worsen your problem.
- This medicine is not approved for those women who are pregnant as it may harm an unborn baby.
- Do not take this medicine if you use another drug for the treatment.
- If you are suffering from any liver or kidney problems then should consult with your doctor before taking this medicine.
- You should not change the dose of this medicine without consulting with your doctor as it may cause side effects.
Do not take the overdose of this medicine as it can be very harmful for you.