Omeprazole is a medicine that can be used in the treatment of Zollinger-Ellison syndrome, Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERO), and peptic ulcer disease and is sold under the brand names Losec and Prilosec. This medicine can also be used in preventing upper gastrointestinal bleeding in people with high risk. It can be taken by injection into a vein or through the mouth.
This medicine was approved for medical use in the year 1988. Before approval, omeprazole was patented in the year 1978. Omeprazole was listed as an essential medicine of the World Health Organization (WHO) and is available as a generic medication. This medicine was the 8th most commonly prescribed medicine with more than 58 million prescriptions in the United States and is available without a prescription in the United States.
Omeprazole is a proton pump inhibitor and reduces the acidity that is produced in the stomach. This medicine is used in the treatment of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERO) and many other conditions that are caused by a large amount of acid in the stomach. It may be given with antibiotics together to prevent gastric ulcer that is caused by infection with Helicobacter pylori (H.pylon). This medicine helps in relieving several symptoms such as problems in swallowing, persistent cough, and heartburn
How to take –
You should read all the instructions on your prescription before taking this medicine. Take this medicine with one dose normally before a meal as per instructed by your doctor. During medication, do not break, crush, and chew this medicine as it may increase the risk of side effects. If you use disintegrating delayed-release tablets then take this medicine with dry hands that place the pill on your tongue and dissolve. This medicine can be swallowed with or without water after the tablet has dissolved in your mouth. This medicine should be taken as a whole with a full glass of water. You should take this medicine daily for getting the most benefit from it. But if your condition is not improved after using this medicine then consult with your doctor.
Dosage instructions –
The dose of any medicine is depending on your health condition, age, and response to treatment. In the case of children, the dose of medicine is based on weight.
– Take this medicine as soon as possible if you miss the dose for good treatment. But do not take a double dose of this medicine to make up the dose on that day.
– If you take an overdose of this medicine then immediately contact to your doctor for medical help as it may cause severe side effects.
There are some of the side effects of this medicine are given below –
- Abdominal pain
- Muscle spasms
- Joint pain
- Stomach pain
- Vitamin B-12 deficiency
- Sore tongue
- Problem in breathing
If you have any side effects after using Omeprazole medicine then consult with your doctor as soon as possible for medical help.
There are several important precautions taken before or after taking this medicine are discussed below –
- This medicine should not be taken if you are allergic to this medicine as it may harmful to your health.
- Do not take this medicine if you have any kidney problems due to this medicine may cause kidney diseases.
- After taking this medicine if you are suffering from joint pain and skin rash then stop taking this medicine and contact to your doctor.
- If you have any bone problems or loss after taking this medicine for a long time then consult with your doctor about this problem.
- Do not increase the dose of this medicine during treatment as it may cause side effects, which are not good for your health.
If you are pregnant then consult with your doctor before taking this medicine as it may harm your unborn baby.