Introduction – Ofloxacin is a quinolone antibiotic that can be used for the treatment of several bacterial infections. This medicine is taken via the mouth or injection into a vein to treat urinary tract infections, pneumonia, prostatitis, cellulitis, and several types of infectious diarrhea.
In the year 1980, Ofloxacin was patented and approved for medical use in the year 1985. This medicine is listed as an essential medicine of the World Health Organization and is available as a generic medication. This mediicne was the 278th most commonly prescribed mediicne with more than one million prescriptions in the United States in the year 2017.
Uses – Ofloxacin is used in the treatment of several bacterial infections and belongs to a group of medicines known as quinolone antibiotics. The main work of this medicine is to prevent the growth of bacterial in the body. It is important to note that this medicine is only for the treatment of bacterial infections and will not work for viral infections including flu, and the common cold.
How to take – Take this medicine via the mouth with or without food as instructed by your doctor. This medicine should be taken normally twice a day (every 12 hours). You should take a large amount of water after taking this medicine. After taking any other tablet, you should take this medicine at least 2 hours after or before 2 hours as it may reduce the effectiveness of this product. You should take this medicine with evenly spaced times for the best effect. Do not stop taking this medicine instantly as it may return the infection. This medicine should be stored at room temperature that is protected from heat and moisture. If the medicine is not in use, then you should keep the bottle tightly closed.
Dosage instructions – The dose of any medicine plays an important role in the treatment of severe diseases that may depend on your medical history and response to therapy. You should never change the dose of this medicine without consultation with your doctor.
- Miss dose – If you miss the dose on any day or time then take this medicine as soon as possible. But do not take a double dose of this medicine to make up the dose as it may harmful to your health.
- Overdose – The overdose of this medicine may dangerous for your health. If you take the overdose of this medicine then consult with your doctor quickly.
Side effects – During treatment, this medicine may cause several side effects are given below –
- Stomach upset
- Difficulty in sleeping
- Persistent fever
- Sore throat
- Liver or kidney problem
- Irregular heartbeat
- Severe dizziness
- Dark urine
- Sudden hearing loss
In some cases, this medicine can harmful to your aorta that could lead to increased bleeding, and may cause death. If you have any one of the side effects after taking this medicine then consult with your doctor immediately.
Precautions – Several important precautions should be taken before or after taking this medicine are given below –
- Do not take this medicine if you are suffering from headache, liver or kidney problems, irritability, agitation, and many more.
- This medicine is not approved for those people who are younger than 18 years old.
- You should not take this medicine for any treatment if you have an allergic problem with this medicine as it may harmful to your health.
- If you are suffering from diabetes then should regularly check your blood sugar after taking this medicine due to this drug may cause serious changes blood sugar level in the body.
- You must discuss with your doctor about your past or present health conditions before taking this medicine.
- Before taking this medicine, you should read and follows all the instructions on your prescriptions.
- If you breastfeed your child then you should consult with your doctor before taking this product as it may pass into breast milk and can be harmful for your baby.