Melatonin is a hormone that is mostly released by the pineal gland at night and is related to the control of the sleep-wake cycle. This supplement may be used for the short-term treatment of insomnia.
In the year 1958, melatonin was introduced and is sold over the counter in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom. But this supplement was not approved by the US Food and Drug Administration for medical use. It was approved in the European Union for medical use in the year 2007.
Melatonin is used as a medicine that can help in the short-term treatment of insomnia. Now this medicine is available in pill form. This melatonin supplement can be positioned under the tongue that allows this tablet to be absorbed directly into the body. This medicine is mainly used for improving or better sleep in several conditions. Several people take melatonin via the mouth for adjusting the body’s internal clock.
How does it work –
The main work of melatonin in the body is to maintain day and night cycles or sleep-wake cycles. The darkness in the room or night the body to generate more melatonin that indicates the body to prepare for sleep. Daylight lowers the production of melatonin and indicates the body for preparing to awake. Several people are suffering from a sleeping disorder due to a low level of melatonin. So, this supplement improves melatonin with better sleep at night.
How to take –
Take this medicine via the mouth for lowering the length of time needed to fall asleep in children and young people who have a problem in sleeping. But if you stop taking this medicine then sleeping problems appear to return. For better sleep, you should take this supplement before bedtime that helps in improving sleep in adults and children who are blind. Sleep problems are caused by several blood pressure medicines such as beta-blocker drugs. Beta-blocker such as propranolol and atenolol belong to that type of medicine, which reduces melatonin levels in the body. There are several other medicines in the treatment of cancer, heart diseases, depression, and many more that causes sleeping problems.
There are several most common side effects of melatonin are given below –
There are another less common side of this supplement are
- Mild tremor
- Lowered alertness
- Low blood pressure
Interaction with medicines –
There are several medicines that interact with melatonin supplements are given below –
- Diabetes medications
- Medicines, which suppress the immune system of the body
- Contraceptive drugs
There are some of the precautions before or after taking this medicine are given below –
- This supplement is not recommended for those women who want to pregnant because it might have effects on birth control and makes it more difficult to become pregnant.
- If you are breastfeeding your baby then should consult with your doctor before taking this supplement.
- Do not take this supplement if you are suffering from any bleeding disorders problem as melatonin makes bleeding worse for you with bleeding disorders problems.
- This melatonin supplement also makes worse symptoms of stress or depression people so if you have severe depression then you should avoid this medicine.
- If you are suffering from the problem of high blood pressure then should take this medicine cautiously as this supplement may increase the blood pressure. After taking this medicine, you must regularly check your blood pressure as per directed by your doctor.
- Before taking this supplement, you should discuss with your doctor about your past or present medical conditions.
- Do not take this medicine if you are suffering from seizure disorders because this supplement may enhance the risk of having a seizure.
- If you want to give this supplement to your children then you should discuss with your doctor about their benefits and harmful effects before giving it to your kids.