Meclizine is an antihistamine that can be used in the treatment of dizziness and motion sickness and is sold under the brand name Bonine. The effects of this medicine start within an hour and last for up to a day. This medicine was patented in the year 1951 and introduced for medical use in the year 1953.
Meclizine was the 139th most commonly prescription medicine with more than 4 million prescriptions in the United States and is available as a generic medication. It may available over the counter in the United States. This medicine is store at room temperature which is protected from light, heat, and moisture.
Meclizine is an antihistamine, which can be used for the treatment of vomiting, nausea, and dizziness due to motion sickness. This medicine may be also used in lowering the loss of balance (vertigo) due to problems in the inner ear.
How to take –
You must read and follows all the instructions on the product label before taking this medicine. Take this medicine as a whole with or without food as instructed by your doctor. This medicine should not be taken if you are an allergic problem to this medicine. You can take only one medicine in one day during travelling. You can also take medicine several times regularly for the treatment of vertigo. If you use chewable tablets then chew this medicine carefully before swallowing. You should take the first dose of this medicine one hour before travel or any other activities to prevent motion sickness. After taking this medicine if your conditions are not improved then immediately consult with your doctor.
Dosage instructions –
The dose of this medicine is depending on the past or present health conditions, age, and response to treatment. You should not enhance the dose of this medicine without consulting with your doctor as it may dangerous for your health.
– If you miss the dose of this medicine anytime then immediately take this medicine. But do not take a double dose of this medicine to cover up the dose as it can harmful to your health.
Overdose- Advertisement -
– The overdose of Meclizine causes several symptoms and is dangerous for your health. So, if you take an overdose of this medicine then talk to your doctor as soon as possible for medical help.
There are some of the side effects after using this medicine are given below –
- Dry mouth
- Irregular heartbeat
- Mood changes
- Severe dizziness
- Difficulty in breathing
- Problem in urinating
If you have severe side effects after taking this medicine then talk to your doctor as soon as possible for medical help.
There are some of the precautions before using this medicine are given below –
- Do not take this medicine if you are an allergic problem with this medicine.
- If you have kidney or liver problems then consult with your doctor before taking this medicine.
- At the time of medication, do not take a large amount of alcohol as it may not good for your health.
- This medicine is not given to children who are younger than 12 years old.
- After taking this medicine, you should avoid any physical activities and not drive any vehicle due to it may cause sleepiness or severe dizziness that can increase the risk of an injury or an accident.
- You should talk to your doctor if you are pregnant before taking this medicine as it may harm your unborn baby.
- If you feel any side effects for a long period after taking this medicine then stop taking this medicine and consult with your doctor.
- Do not take this medicine if you are breastfeeding a child as it may pass into breast milk and harmful effects on your baby.
You should consult with your doctor about past or present health conditions before taking this medicine for treatment.