Loratadine is a medicine that can be used in the treatment of allergies including hives and allergic rhinitis and is sold under the brand name Claritin. This medicine was patented in the year 1980 and introduced to the market in the year 1988. This medicine is listed as the essential medicine on the World Health Organization.
Loratadine was the 76th most common medication prescribed with more than 10 million prescriptions in the United States in the year 2018 and is available as a generic medication. This medicine is available over the counter in the United States.
Loratadine is an antihistamine, which lowers the effects of the natural chemical histamine in your boy. Histamine is responsible for several allergy symptoms such as watery eyes, runny nose, sneezing, and itching. This medicine is used to treat symptoms such as watery eyes, itching, runny nose and sneezing from hay fever, and many more allergies. It can also use in relieving itching from hives. But it does not use in the treatment of serious allergic reactions. So, if you use epinephrine for the treatment of allergies as prescribed by your doctor then should always carry an epinephrine injector with you. If you are self-treating with this medicine then you should not take loratadine in place of your epinephrine.
How to take –
You must read and follow all the instructions on the product package if you are using this medicine for self-treatment before taking this medicine. Take this medicine usually once a day with or without food as instructed by your doctor. If you use chewable tablets, then should chew every tablet well and then swallow. If you take this medicine in the form of liquid then should measure the dose with the help of a special measuring device or spoon. But do not use a household spoon to measure the dose as it may not measure the correct dose. If your condition is not improving after taking this medicine for a long time then talk to your doctor to resolve this problem.
Dosage instructions –
The dose of this medicine is depending on the past or present health conditions, age, and response to treatment. Do not enhance the dose of this medicine without consultation with your doctor.
– If you miss the dose then take this medicine as soon as possible when you remember. But do not take a double dose of this medicine as it may harmful to your health.
Overdose- Advertisement -
– The overdose of this medicine causes severe side effects that are dangerous to your health. So, if you take an overdose of this medicine then immediately contact your doctor for treatment.
There are some of the side effects after taking Loratadine are given below –
- Irregular heartbeat
- Stomach pain
- Dry mouth
- Severe dizziness
- Problem in breathing
There are some of the precautions before taking this medicine are given below –
- Do not self-treat medicine without discussing it with your doctor as if you are suffering kidney or liver problems.
- If you have the problem of diabetes then should take caution if you use the chewable or liquid form of this medicine as it contains sugar or aspartame.
- You should avoid driving any vehicle after taking this medicine as it can reduce alertness or may cause sleepiness and increase the risk of an injury or accident.
- If you are pregnant then consult with your doctor before taking this medicine due to it may harm your unborn baby.
- Do not take this medicine if you breastfeeding your baby due to it may pass into breast milk and harmful effects on your baby.
- You should read and follows all the directions on your product label before taking this medicine for treatment.
- This medicine should not be taken if you are an allergic problem to this medicine as it may harmful to your health
- Do not take a large amount of alcohol during medication as it may cause unwanted side effects, which is not good for your health.