Lisinopril is a medicine that can be used in the treatment of heart failure and high blood pressure after heart attacks. Generally, it is a first-line treatment for high blood pressure. This medicine is also used in preventing kidney problems in individuals with diabetes mellitus.
This medicine was patented in the year 1978, which is approved for medical use in the United States in the year 1987 and is available as a generic medication. Lisinopril was the 3rd most common medication prescribed with more than 97 million prescriptions in the United States in the year 2018. There is an oral solution formulation of this medicine was approved in the United States in July 2016.
Lisinopril is used to reduce high blood pressure that helps in preventing heart attacks, kidney problems, and strokes. This medicine is also used in the treatment of heart failure and to improve survival after a sudden heart attack. This medicine belongs to a class of drugs called ACE inhibitors and works by relaxing blood vessels thus blood can flow more easily in your body.
How to take –
Take this medicine once a day via the mouth with or without food as instructed by your doctor. If you use the medicine is in the suspension form then should shake the bottle before each dose. You should carefully measure the dose of this medicine with the help of a special measuring device or spoon. But do not use a household spoon as it cannot measure the correct dose of this medicine.
This medicine should be taken for 2 to 4 weeks before you get the full benefit of this medication in the treatment of high blood pressure. You should take this medicine from weeks to months before you get the full benefit of this medication in the treatment of heart failure.
Dosage instructions –
The dose of this medicine is depending on your age, past or present health conditions, and response to treatment. But the dose of this medicine is based on weight for children. You should start this medicine with a low dose for lowering the risk of side effects and gradually increase the dose of this medicine as directed by your doctor.
– If you miss the dose take this medicine as soon as possible when you remember. But do not take a double dose of this medicine to make up the dose as it may injurious to your health.
– The overdose of this medicine causes several severe side effects that are harmful to your health. So, if you take an overdose of this medicine then consult with your doctor immediately for medical help.
There are some of the side effects after taking Lisinopril medicine are as given below –
- Abdominal pain
- Dry cough
- Liver problems
- Stomach upset
- Yellowing skin or eyes
- Loss of appetite
- Dark urine
- Problem in breathing
If you have side effects after taking this medicine then immediately talk to your doctor for medical help.
There are some of the precautions before taking this medicine are given below –
- Do not take this medicine if you are pregnant due to it may harm your unborn baby.
- This medicine should not be taken if you have an allergy to this medicine as it may injurious to your health.
- After taking this medicine, you should not drive any vehicle or avoid any physical activities as it may cause dizziness that may increase the risk of an accident or any injury.
- Do not take a large amount of alcohol with this medicine due to it may cause severe side effects, which is not good for your health.
- If you are breastfeeding a child do not take this medicine as it may pass into breast milk and harmful effects on a nursing infant.
- This medicine should not be taken or consult with your doctor if you have any kidney or liver problems.
- You must follow all the instructions on your prescription label before taking this medicine.
Do not increase the dose of this medicine during treatment due to it may harmful to your health.