Lexapro is also known as Cipralex or Escitalopram is an antidepressant of the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) class that can be used in the treatment of generalized anxiety disorder or major depressive disorder.
Lexapro was permitted in the United States for medical use in the year 2002 and is sometimes replaced by twice the dose of citalopram.
Lexapro can be used in the treatment of anxiety and depression that works is to help for restoring the balance of a certain natural substance (serotonin) in the brain. It belongs to the group of medications called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRI) and can improve the energy level, reduce nervousness, and feeling of well-being.
How to take –
You must read and follow the guidelines on your prescriptions before taking this medicine. Take this medicine via the mouth with or without food as instructed by your doctor. This medicine should be taken once daily morning or evening. If you use this medicine is in liquid form then should carefully measure the dose with the help of a special measuring device or spoon. But do not use a household spoon due to it may not measure the correct dose. You should take this medicine daily for getting the most benefit from it. Do not stop taking this medicine without discussing it with your doctor as it may cause some symptoms such as headache, mood swings, tiredness, sleep changes, and many more. So, you may lower the dose of this medicine gradually to prevent the symptoms as directed by your doctor.
Dosage instructions –
The dose of Lexapro tablet is depending on your age, gender, past or present medical conditions, and response to treatment. You should take this medicine as a low dose to lower the risk of side effects. After that, you can gradually increase the dose of this medicine as per directed by your doctor.
– Take this medicine as soon as possible to make up the dose if you miss the dose anytime. But do not take an extra dose of this medicine as it may harmful to your health.
– The overdose of this medicine causes severe side effects that are dangerous to your health. Thus, if you take an overdose of this medicine by fault then immediately contact to your doctor for medical help.
There are some of the side effects after taking this medicine are given below –
- Dry mouth
- Increased sweating
- Problem in sleeping
- Irregular heartbeat
- Blurred vision
- Eye pain
- Reduced interest in sex
If you have any one of the side effects for a long period then instantly talk to your doctor for medical help.
There are some of the precautions before or after taking this medicine are discussed below –
- If you are an allergic problem from this medicine then should consult with your doctor before taking this medicine.
- Do not take this medicine if you also use citalopram or pimozide.
- After taking this medicine, you should not drive any vehicle or avoid physical activities as it may cause sleepiness or dizziness that may increase the risk of an accident or injury.
- This medicine should not be taken with alcohol as it may cause unwanted side effects that are not good for your health.
- You should caution to take the liquid form of this medicine if you have diabetes as it may contain sugar or aspartame.
- If you are pregnant then you should consult with your doctor before taking this medicine as it may harm your unborn baby.
Do not take this medicine or consult with your doctor if you breastfeed your baby because this drug passes into breast milk that may harmful for your baby.