Introduction – Ketoconazole is an antifungal medicine that can be used for the treatment several fungal infections and is sold under the brand name Nizoral. This medicine is used in treating fungal skin infections such as seborrheic dermatitis, tinea, pityriasis versicolor, cutaneous candidiasis, and dandruff. This tablet is taken via the mouth and is also used to treat Cushing’s syndrome and excessive hair growth. Ketoconazole is a less preferred choice and is recommended for serious infections if other agents cannot be used.
In 1977, ketoconazole was patented and introduced for medical use in the year 1981. This medicine is available as a generic medication and inventions, which are applied to the skin are over the counter in the United Kingdom. Ketoconazole was the 219th most commonly prescribed medication with more than two million prescriptions in the United States.
Uses – Ketoconazole is used in treating skin infections such as jock itch, athlete’s foot, dandruff, and ringworm. This medicine is also used in the treatment of skin conditions called pityriasis (tinea versicolor). Pityriasis is a fungal infection, which causes a lightening or darkening of the skin of the chest, legs, neck, or arms. This drug worked as an azole antifungal, which works is to prevent the growth of fungus.
How to take – This medicine is applied to the affected skin normally once or twice a day as instructed by your doctor. Do not use this medicine more than prescribed by your doctor as your condition is not improved and increases the risk of side effects. You should apply sufficient medicine for covering the affected areas of the skin with some surrounding skin. You must wash your hands after using this medicine. Do not cover, bandage, or wrap the affected area of the skin. During treatment, do not use this medicine on your nose, vagina, eyes, or mouth. If this medicine may get in your eyes, then immediately rinse carefully with water. You should use this medicine daily for getting the most benefit from it. Do not stop taking this medicine immediately too early as it may allow fungus again to grow in your body that may result in a relapse of the infection. If your condition is not improved after the treatment then consult with your doctor.
Dosage instructions – The dose of any medicine depends on the type of infections being treated as per consult with your doctor.
- Miss dose – If you miss a dose at any time then immediately use it as you remember. But do not use a double dose of this medicine to make the dose.
- Overdose – The overdose of this medicine causes severe side effects that are dangerous for your health. So, if you take an overdose of this medicine, then immediately contact to your doctor.
Side effects – There are some of the side effects after taking this medicine are given below –
- Difficulty in breathing
- Liver problem
- QT prolongation
If you have any one of the side effects for a long time after taking this medicine then immediately consult with your doctor.
Precautions – There are some of the precautions before or after taking this medicine are discussed below –
- This medicine should not be taken if you have an allergic problem to this medicine as it may harmful for you.
- You should discuss your past or present medical conditions before taking this medicine.
- If you have a serious liver problem after taking this medicine then immediately contact to your doctor as this drug may harm your liver.
- Do not take this medicine if you use another antifungal medicine for any treatment.
- After taking this medicine, if you have any difficulty in breathing or sudden dizziness then stop taking this medicine and consult with your doctor.
- If you are planning to become pregnant then should consult with your doctor before taking this medicine as it may harm your unborn baby.