Ibuprofen is a medicine that belongs to the group of the nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) that can be used in the treatment of fever, inflammation, and pain. This medicine may also be used to close a patent ductus arteriosus in a premature baby. It can be taken through the mouth and works start within an hour.
Boots UK Limited and Stewart Adams discovered Ibuprofen and initially marketed it as Brufen and is available under different trade names including Advil, Motrin, and Nurofen. In the year 1969, this medicine was first promoted in the United Kingdom and the year 1974, in the United States. Ibuprofen is listed as an essential medicine in the World Health Organization.
This medicine is used in relieving pain from several conditions such as dental pain, muscle aches, menstrual cramps, and headache. This medicine is used in lowering fever and relieving pain and minor aches due to the flu or common cold. Ibuprofen is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medicine and works by preventing the productions of certain natural substances in the body, which causes inflammation. It also helps in reducing swelling, fever, or pain.
How to take –
Take this medicine by the mouth and usually every 4 to 6 hours with a full glass of water. After taking this medicine, do not lie down for at least 10 minutes. If you have stomach pain then take this medicine with milk, food, or an antacid. You should read and follow all the instructions before taking this medicine. Do not increase the dose of this medicine without consultation with your doctor as it may cause severe side effects, which are harmful to your health. If your condition is not improved after taking this medicine for a long time then consult with your doctor.
Dosage instructions –
The dose of this medicine is depending on the past or present health conditions, gender, age, and response to treatment. But the dose of this medicine is based on the weight in the case of children. This medicine should be started with a low dose to lower the risk of stomach bleeding and other several side effects.
– Take this medicine as soon as possible if you missed the dose to make up the dose on that day. But do not take a double dose of this medicine as it may cause side effects.
Overdose- Advertisement -
– An overdose of this medicine causes unwanted side effects. Thus, if you take an overdose of this medicine then immediately contact your doctor to resolve this problem.
There are some of the side effects after taking this medicine are given below –
- Stomach upset
- Vision changes
- Sudden weight gain
- Ringing in the ears
There are some of the precautions before or after taking this medicine are given below –
- You should check your blood pressure daily after taking this medicine as it may increase your blood pressure.
- After taking this medicine if you are suffering from side effects including hearing changes, bleeding, blurred vision, and many more then contact your doctor.
- Do not take this medicine if you are an allergic problem with this Ibuprofen as it may harmful to your health.
- If you have problems with blood disorders, liver or kidney problems, recent heart attacks then consult with your doctor before taking this medicine.
- You should drink a large amount of water after taking this medicine as it may prevent dehydration.
- Do not drive any vehicle and avoid physical activities after taking this medicine because this drug may causes reduce in alertness or dizziness that may increase the risk of an accident or injury.
- During treatment, do not take this medicine with alcohol as it may increase the risk of stomach bleeding and others side effects.
- If you are pregnant then consult with your doctor before taking this medicine as it may cause a problem in normal delivery or harmful for an unborn baby.
- Do not take this medicine if you breastfeed your baby as it may pass into breast milk and harmful for your nursing infant.