Hydroxychloroquine is a medicine that can be used in preventing and the treatment of malaria in those areas where malaria remains sensitive to chloroquine and is sold under the brand name Plaquenil. This medicine can also be used to treat lupus, and rheumatoid arthritis. It is taken via the mouth, which is in the form of hydroxychloroquine sulfate.
Hydroxychloroquine is used to treat or prevent malaria that is caused by mosquito bites. The United States Center for Disease Control offers the latest procedures with travel recommendations for the treatment and prevention of malaria in several parts of the world. You should consult with your doctor before travelling to those areas where malaria occurs. This medicine is used in the treatment of certain auto-immune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, and many more. It can lower skin problems in the lupus and prevent swelling or pain in arthritis. It is important to note that this medicine is not recommended for coronavirus infection.
How to take –
Take this medicine with food to prevent stomach upset as instructed by your doctor. You should take this medicine once a week on the same day every week as per directed by your doctor. to prevent the problem of malaria. This medicine should be started in 1 or 2 weeks before traveling or entering the malarious area. You can take this medicine once or twice daily as directed by your doctor for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis and lupus. This medicine should be taken regularly for taking the most benefit from it. Do not immediately stop taking this medicine without discussing it with your doctor. After taking this medicine, if your condition is not improved then consult with your doctor.
Dosage instructions –
The dose of any medicine is depending on your health conditions, age, and response to therapy. But in children, the dose is based on their weight. You start this medication on a low dose to prevent the side effects and gradually increase the dose of this medicine. If your condition is improved then reduce the dose of this medicine as per instructed by your doctor.
– If you miss the dose then take this medicine as soon as possible. But do not take an extra dose of this medicine to make up the dose as it may cause side effects.
– The overdose of this medicine causes several severe side effects that are dangerous for your health. So, if you take an overdose of this medicine then immediately talk to your doctor for medical help.
There are some of the side effects after taking this medicine are given below –
- Loss of appetite
- Sudden weight gain
- Mood changes
- Ringing in the ears
- Abdominal pain
- Dark urine
There are several precautions before or after taking this medicine are given below –
- If you are allergic to this hydroxychloroquine then avoid this medicine and use another drug for the treatment.
- You can consult with your doctor about past or present health conditions before taking this medicine.
- Do not drive any vehicle or avoid any physical activities after taking this medicine as it may reduce your alertness that may increase the risk of an injury or accident.
- You should check your blood sugar if you have diabetes due to this medicine may affect your blood sugar level.
- If you are pregnant then should consult with your doctor before taking this medicine as it may harm your unborn baby.
You should read and follow all the instructions on your prescriptions before taking this medicine for treatment.