Hydromorphone is an opioid that can be used in the treatment of moderate to severe pain. This medicine is used for long-term use is only recommended for pain that is caused by cancer. It is also called as dihydromorphinone and can be taken via the mouth or by injection into a muscle, under the skin, and vein. The effects of this medicine start within 30 minutes and last for up to 5 hours.
This medicine was patented in the year 1923 and is available as a generic medication. Hydromorphone was the 205th most commonly prescribed medication with more than two million prescriptions in the year 2017. It is available in tablet, solution, and extended-release for treatment.
This medicine is used in relieving moderate to severe pain and acts as on certain centers in the brain to provide pain relief. This product belongs to the group of medicines known as narcotic analgesics that acts on the central nervous system (CNS) for relieving pain. Hydromorphone is used in the form of extended-release to treat moderate to severe pain. It is not used on an as-needed basis for pain.
How to take –
Take this product as an injection into a muscle, vein, or under the skin during treatment as per instructed by your doctor. You should check the medicine visually for particles or discoloration. Do not use the liquid if either any particles or discoloration are found. You must clean the injection site with rubbing alcohol before injecting each dose. During treatment, if this medicine is injected under the skin or into a muscle then it is necessary to change the location of the injection site with every dose to prevent problem areas under the skin.
You should use syringes and needles only once during treatment. Do not enhance the dose of this medicine without discussing it with your doctor. You should properly stop taking the medicine as per instructed by your doctor. If you have pain due to cancer then use long-acting opioid medicine as directed by your doctor. Do not stop take this medication suddenly if you use it for a long time as it may cause withdrawal effects. After using this medication, if you are suffering from any withdrawal symptoms such as runny nose, problem in sleeping, anxiety diarrhea, muscle aches, and many more then contact to your doctor. To lower the risk of withdrawal symptoms, you can reduce the dose of this medicine as instructed by your doctor.
Dosage instructions –
The dose of this medicine may depend on your health conditions and response to treatment. You use this product with a low dose to reduce the risk of any side effects.
– If you miss the dose then take this medicine instantly. You should not take an extra dose to make up the dose as it may cause side effects.
– The overdose of this medicine may be harmful to your health. So, if you take an overdose of this medicine then immediately consult with your doctor.
This medicine causes several side effects during medication are given below –
- Abdominal pain
- Weight loss
- Sleep apnea
- Mood changes
Several precautions should be taken before or after taking this medicine are discussed below –
- Do not take this medicine with alcohol as it may cause fatal side effects including drowsiness or breathing problems.
- This medicine should not be taken if you have an allergic problem with this medicine as it may harmful to you.
- You should keep this medicine in a safe place due to the misuse of this medicine may cause overdose addiction or death.
- This medicine may be harmful to pregnant ladies or unborn baby so if you are pregnant then consult with your doctor before using this product.
You should consult with your doctor about your past or present health conditions and age before using this medicine.