Hydralazine is a medicine that can be used in the treatment of heart failure and high blood pressure including high blood pressure in pregnancy. This medicine is taken via the mouth or by injection into a vein. Generally, the effects of this medicine start about 15 minutes and last up to 6 hours.
Hydralazine was discovered when researchers were looking for the treatment of severe disease malaria at Ciba. It was patented in the year 1949 and listed as an essential medicine by the World Health Organization. This medicine was the 98th most commonly prescribed medicine with more than 7 million prescriptions in the United States in the year 2018.
Hydralazine is used in the treatment of high blood pressure that lowers the risk of heart attacks, strokes, and kidney problems. The main work of this medicine is to relax blood vessels so blood can flow easily throughout the body. Generally, this medicine is used in combination with isosorbide dinitrate to treat congestive heart failure. This medicine is store at room temperature that is protected from heat and moisture.
How to take –
This medicine should be taken with or without food normally 2 to 4 times regularly as instructed by your doctor. Do not take this in a larger amount without consultation with your doctor as it may cause side effects. After taking this medicine, you should check your blood pressure weekly or daily. To treat high blood pressure, you should take this medicine for the rest of your life. You must take this medicine daily to lower the blood pressure that helps in preventing heart attacks or strokes. But do not instantly stop taking this medicine with consultation with your doctor as it may worsen your conditions. After taking this medicine for a long time, if your blood pressure is not reduced then contact to your doctor.
Dosage instructions –
The dose plays an important role in the treatment of severe diseases that are based on your past or present health conditions, age, and response to treatment. This medicine should be taken with a low dose to prevent unwanted side effects and after some days, gradually increase the dose.
– Take this medicine as soon as possible when you miss the dose on any day to make up the dose. But you should not take a double dose of this medicine as it may be harmful to your health.
Overdose- Advertisement -
– An overdose of this medicine is very dangerous for your health as it may cause severe unwanted side effects. Thus, if you take an overdose of this medicine at any time then contact to your doctor as soon as possible to prevent side effects.
During medication, this medicine may cause side effects are given below –
- Sore throat
- Kidney problems
- Difficulty in breathing
- Chest pain
- Loss of appetite
- Irregular heartbeat
During medication, if you have any severe side effects for a long time then immediately contact to your doctor to prevent side effects.
There are some important precautions that should be taken before or after taking this medicine are given below –
- Do not take this medicine if you are suffering from rheumatic heart disease or coronary artery disease.
- If you have an allergic problem with this medicine then do not take this medicine as it may cause side effects that are harmful to your health.
- Before taking this medicine, you should read all the instructions on your prescriptions as directed by your doctor.
- You can discuss with your doctor about the harmful effects of this medicine during pregnancy before taking this medicine as it may be harmful to your unborn baby.
This medicine should not be taken with alcohol as it may increases the risk of getting side effects that is not good for your health.