Introduction – Ketotifen is a second-generation noncompetitive H1 antihistamine and mast cell stabilizer that is sold under the brand name Zaditor. Generally, this medicine is available as a salt with fumaric acid, ketotifen fumarate. Ketotifen fumarate is available in two forms – firstly in oral form that is used in preventing asthma attacks and allergic-type disorders. Secondly, it is available in the ophthalmic form, which can be used for the treatment of allergic conjunctivitis. In the year 1970, Ketotifen was patented and introduced for medical use in the year 1976.
Uses – Ketotifen is used for the treatment of itching of the eyes due to allergic conjunctivitis. This medicine is an antihistamine that can be used to treat allergic symptoms by preventing a certain natural substance (histamine). Ketotifen is also a mast cell stabilizer and can be used in preventing allergic reactions by lowering the release of natural substances, which causes an allergic reaction.
How to take – You should read and follows all the instructions on your prescriptions before taking this medicine if you are using over-the-counter medicine. During treatment, you should apply 1 drop in the affected eyes twice a day between 8 to 12 hours as instructed by your doctor. Before apply eye drops, first, you must wash your hands. Do not touch the dropper tip when it touches your eyes to prevent infection. If you wear a contact lens then you can consult with your doctor before using this product. Do not use this product in preventing irritation from contact lens wear. When your eyes are red or irritated then should consult with your doctor before using contact lenses. In the treatment, you should not rinse the dropper, remove the dropper after each use and keep the bottle tightly close after use. If you use another product for eye medication then should wait for 5 minutes before use it. You should use this product regularly to get the most benefit from it if your doctor has prescribed this medicine. After taking this product for a long time, if your conditions are not improved then consult with your doctor immediately.
Dosage instructions – The dose of any product is depending on your medical conditions and response to treatment. You should use the correct dose of this product that helps in recovering from eye problems.
- Miss Dose – Take this product as soon as you remember if you miss the dose during treatment. But do not use double the dose of this product as it may harmful for you.
- Overdose – An overdose of this product may cause unwanted side effects that are not good for your health. If you take an overdose of this product then contact to your doctor immediately for medical help.
Side effects – There are several side effects after using this product are given below –
- Eye irritation
- Increased sensitivity to light
- Runny nose
- Pain in eyes
- Swelling of the eye
- Vision problem
- Increased redness
- Dry eye
If you have any side after using this product then consult with your doctor as soon as possible for medical help.
Precautions – There are several important precautions before or after taking this product are discussed below –
- You should wash your hands before apply eye drops as it may increase the risk of getting infections.
- If you use a contact lens on your eyes then consult with your doctor before applying eye drops on your eyes.
- Do not use this product if you are an allergic problem with this eye drop as it may harmful to your health.
- After applying this product to your eyes, your vision can become temporarily blurred so do not drive any vehicle or avoid any physical activity as it may enhance the risk of an accident.
- This medicine is not recommended for those children whose age is less than 3 years as instructed by your doctor.
- You should not wash the used dropper, remove the dropper can after each use with keeping the bottle tightly closed for safety.