Guaifenesin has been used medically since 1933 and is available and is sold under the brand name Mucinex. This medicine was the 234th most common medication prescribed with more than two million prescriptions in the United States in the year 2017 and is available as a generic medication. This medicine should be store at room temperature and is protected from heat, light, and moisture.
Guaifenesin is a medicine that can be used for the treatment of cough and congestion that are caused by bronchitis, common cold, and other breathing problems. This medicine is not used for ongoing coughs due to smoke or long-term breathing problems. Guaifenesin is an expectorant and works by loosening and thinning mucus in the airways, making breathing easier, and clearing congestion.
How to take –
Take this medicine with or without food as per instructed by your doctor. If you are interested to use this medicine then follow all the instructions on the prescription of products before taking this medicine. This medicine should be taken as a whole without chewing or crushing as per a consult with your doctor. If you use this medicine in the form of liquid then should carefully measure the dose with the help of a special measuring device or spoon. You cannot use a household spoon due to it may not measure the correct dose. When you take this medicine in the form of powder then empty the whole contents of the packet onto the tongue and swallow with a full glass of water. You should take plenty of water after taking this medicine as fluid will help for breaking up mucus and clear congestion.
Dosage instructions –
The dose of this medicine is depending on the medical condition, age, and response to treatment. Do not take more than 6 doses in a day and not increase the dose without consultation with your doctor. You should take the correct dose of this medicine as per prescribed by your doctor for good treatment.
– Take this missed dose as soon as possible when you remember if you take this medicine daily for treatment. But do not take a double dose of this medicine for making up the missed dose as it may harmful to your health.
– If you take an overdose of this medicine and suffering from any severe side effects such as difficulty in breathing then consult with your doctor immediately.
There are some of the side effects after using this medicine are listed below –
- Difficulty in breathing
- Stomach upset
- Formation of kidney stones
- Mild dry mouth
- Chapped lips
After taking this medicine, if you are suffering from any severe side effects for a long time then instantly talk to your doctor for medical help.
There are some of the precautions for those people who use this medicine are listed below –
- Do not take this medicine if you are allergic to this medicine as it may not good for your health.
- You can consult with your doctor about past or present health conditions before taking this medicine.
- If you are breastfeeding a baby then ask your doctor before using this medicine as it can pass into breast milk or may harm a nursing baby.
- The liquid form of this medicine has alcohol or sugar so if you are suffering from any liver problem or diabetes then talk to your doctor before using this drug.
- During medication, do not take a large amount of alcohol as it may increase the risk of severe side effects.
- If you are pregnant then consult to your doctor before using this medicine as it may harm an unborn baby.
- You should not drive any vehicle or avoid physical activities after taking this medicine because this drug may cause dizziness or sleepiness and may increase the possibility of an accident.
- Do not give this medicine to children without consultation with your doctor.
After taking this medicine, you should drink plenty of water for helping in loosening the congestion and lubricate the throat.