- Are Glucocorticoids safe
- Treat several diseases
- Types of Glucocorticoids
Glucocorticoids is also known as glucocorticosteroids are a class of steroid hormones and are present in almost every vertebrate animal cell. The word ‘glucocorticoid’ is a combination of glucose + cortex + steroid.
Glucocorticoids are one of the powerful medicines, which fight inflammation and work with your immune system for the treatment of a wide range of health issues. The body of an individual makes its own glucocorticoids. These hormones have several jobs, such as how your cells use fat and sugar that reduces inflammation. Glucocorticoids are part of the feedback mechanism in the immune system that decreases certain aspects of the immune system such as inflammation so it is used in medicine for the treatment of those diseases, which are caused by an overactive immune system including asthma, sepsis, allergies, and autoimmune diseases.
Are Glucocorticoids safe –
If you take glucocorticoids in recommended dosages for short time then they are considered safe. But if they are large or short-course therapies of less than one week then it has several harmful effects. When you will stop glucocorticoids unexpectedly then the adrenal tissues will not instantly start producing glucocorticoids again is known as acute adrenal insufficiency with symptoms such as nausea, dizziness, low blood pressure, joints pain, and many more. You should be withdrawn steroid medication slowly in several weeks or months to prevent adrenal insufficiency.
Due to glucocorticoids suppress the immune system, it enhances the risk of infection. Several viral infections including measles or chickenpox may have a more severe course in individuals who use glucocorticoids. If you take glucocorticoids for a long period then it may cause Cushing’s syndrome.
There are several side effects after taking this medicine are listed below –
- Blurred vision
- Problem in concentrating
- Fluid retention
- Blood sugar increases
- Irregular heartbeat
- Loss of potassium
- Difficulty in breathing
- Weight increases
- Cholesterol increases
If you take glucocorticoids and may suffer from any one of the side effects then talk to your doctor instantly for medical help.
Treat several diseases –
Glucocorticoids can be used for the treatment of several diseases that are caused by inflammation are as given below –
- Multiple sclerosis
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Skin problems
Doctors also prescribe glucocorticoids for those people who are suffering from organ transplants. Your immune system sees the new organ and attack by an invader after the procedure of organ transplant. Some medicines including glucocorticoids can be used in converting your immune system and maintain the body from rejecting the new organ.
Types of Glucocorticoids –
Glucocorticoids is one of the kinds of steroid and is necessary that depends on the specific health conditions. There are several types of glucocorticoids are listed below
- Triamcinolone is a cream that can be used for the treatment of skin conditions
- Cortisone helps in lowering the inflammation in your joints.
- Budesonide is a medicine to treat Crohn’s disease, autoimmune diseases, ulcerative colitis, which affect the digestive tract.
- Both Dexamethasone and Prednisone are one of medicines that can be used in the treatment of arthritis, vision problems, allergies, asthma, and many more.
There are some of the precautions before using glucocorticoids are listed below –
- Normally glucocorticoids are safe for most of the people but using them for a long period may cause several health issues such as diabetes, osteoporosis, and high blood pressure.
- If you feel any health problems after using glucocorticoids then consult to your doctor for any health issues.
- This medicine should not be taken if you are suffering from severe diseases including heart disease, cancer, kidney or liver problem, and many more.
- You can consult with your doctor if you are pregnant before taking this medicine as it may be harmful to your unborn baby.
If you have any health issues such as glaucoma, high blood pressure, peptic ulcer, diabetes, kidney problem and many more then talk to your doctor before using this medicine.