Gentamicin is an antibiotic that can be used for the treatment of bacterial infections including urinary tract infections, bone infections, pelvic inflammatory disease, pneumonia, sepsis, and endocarditis. This medicine is not effective for chlamydia and gonorrhea infections. Gentamicin is sold under the brand name Garamycin and may be given intravenously by injection into a muscle or topically.
This medicine. is naturally produced by the bacterium Micromonospora and was patented in the year 1962. After that, it was approved in the year 1962 for medical use. Gentamicin was listed as an essential medicine of the World Health Organization and is available as a generic medicine.
Gentamicin is used to treat bacterial infections mainly Gram-negative bacteria such as Proteus, Escherichia, Serratia, Pseudomonas, and many more. This medicine is also used in treating Gram-positive such as Staphylococcus. It is also used in the treatment of soft tissue infections, urinary tract infections, and respiratory tract infections. This medicine is also helpful against Yersinia pestis that may cause plague. But it will not treat a viral infection such as common cold, flu, and many more. This medicine is store at room temperature that is protected from heat and moisture.
How to take –
Take this medicine through the injection into a muscle or vein as instructed by your doctor. During treatment, you should read and follows all the instructions on your prescriptions before taking this medicine. You should take this medicine at evenly spaced times for the best effects of this tablet. Do not stop taking this medicine immediately as it can allow bacteria to grow again in the body that may result in a return of the infection. After taking this medicine, if your condition is not improved then consult with your immediately.
Dosage instructions –
The dose of this medicine is depending on your weight, age, past or present health conditions, and response to therapy. You should try to take the right dose of this medicine that helps in recovering soon from any infections as per instructed by your doctor.
– If you miss the dose any time or day then take this medicine instantly to recover the dose. But you should take an extra dose of this medicine as it may harmful for you.
Overdose- Advertisement -
– An overdose of this medicine is very harmful to your health. Thus, if you take an overdose of this medicine on any day then immediately consult with your doctor for medical help.
There are some of the side effects after taking this medicine are given below –
- Stomach upset
- Muscle twitching
- Yeast infection
- Vaginal discharge
- Inner ear problems
- Hearing loss
- Kidney problems
- Difficulty in breathing
If you are suffering from any one of the side effects after using this medicine for a long time then consult with your doctor as soon as possible for medical help.
There are some of the precautions before or after using this medicine are discussed below –
- This medicine should not be taken if you have an allergic problem to this drug as it may harmful for your health.
- If you are suffering from hearing loss, and kidney problems then consult with your doctor before taking this medicine.
- You must read and follow the instruction on your prescriptions label before using this medicine for treatment.
- During treatment, if you did not know how to give the gentamicin then do not self-inject this medicine at home.
- After taking this medicine, you should drink a large amount of water as it will help kidneys to work properly.
- This medicine is not recommended for pregnant ladies as it may harm your unborn baby.
If you breastfeed your baby then you should consult with your doctor before taking this medicine because this drug can pass into breast milk and may be harmful to your infant.