Gabapentin is an anticonvulsant medicine that can be used in the treatment of neuropathic pain and partial seizures. It is a first-line medicine to treat neuropathic pain due to central pain, diabetic neuropathy, and postherpetic neuralgia. The effects of this medicine are moderate is about 30-40 percent of those given gabapentin for postherpetic neuralgia, or diabetic neuropathy have a meaningful benefit. This medicine is sold under the brand name Neurontin.
Gabapentin was first approved for medical use in the year 1993 and has been available as a generic medication in the United States since 2004. This medicine was the 11th most common medication prescribed with more than 45 million prescriptions in the United States in the year 2018.
Gabapentin is used in preventing and controlling seizures and also helps in relieving nerve pain due to the herpes virus or shingles in adults. As per research, this medicine is used in the treatment of anxiety disorders. The moderate effect of this medicine is used in lowering the symptoms of associated cravings, and alcohol withdrawal. It is also recommended as a first-line treatment of infantile nystagmus, pendular nystagmus, and torsional nystagmus. But this medicine does not work in periodic alternating nystagmus. This medicine is also used in lowering spasticity in multiple sclerosis and also to treat restless legs syndrome.
How to take –
Take this medicine via the mouth with or without food as instructed by your doctor. If you take capsules then swallow as a whole with a full glass of water. Do not crush, break or chew this medicine. Before using this medicine, you can discuss with your doctor about your health conditions or medical history. You should take this medicine daily for getting the most benefit from it. The work of this medicine is best if the amount of medicine is kept at a constant level in your body. Do not enhance the dose of this medicine without discussing it with your doctor as it may harmful to your health.
Dosage instructions –
The dose of this medicine is depending on your age, past or present medical conditions and, response to treatment. But the dose of Gabapentin is based on weight for children. This medicine starts with a low dose and takes the very first dose at bedtime to lower the risk of side effects. After that, you can enhance the dose of this medicine slowly as directed by your doctor.
– Take this medicine as soon as possible if you miss the dose at any time. But do not take a double dose of this medicine to make up the dose as it may harmful to your health.
– The overdose of this medicine may cause several symptoms such as weakness, problem in speaking, severe drowsiness, and many more. Thus, if you take an overdose of this medicine then talk to your doctor immediately for medical help.
There are some of the side effects after taking this medicine are given below –
- Double or blurred vision
- Loss of coordination
- Unusual eye movements
- Difficulty in breathing
- Skin rash
- Panic attacks
During medication, if you are suffering from any side effects for a long time then talk to your doctor immediately for medical help.
There are some of the precautions before taking this medicine are given below –
- This medicine causes life-threatening breathing problems if you have a problem of breathing disorder then consult with your doctor before taking this medicine.
- After taking this medicine if you feel any behavior changes then talk to your doctor to resolve this problem.
- You should follow all the instructions on your prescriptions before taking this medicine for treatment.
- Do not drive any vehicle or avoid any physical activities after taking this medicine as this medicine causes dizziness or drowsiness and may cause accidents or severe injuries.
- This medicine should not be taken if you are an allergic problem to this medicine as it may harmful to your health
- You should avoid this medicine if you are breastfeeding a child as it may pass into breast milk and harmful effects on a nursing infant.
Do not stop taking this medicine suddenly if you feel fine as it may cause increased seizures, which is not good for you.