Ferrous sulfate is also known as ferrous sulphate and denotes a range of salts with the chemical formula of FeSO4. It is one of the essential medicines that are listed on the World Health Organization (WHO). Ferrous sulfate is one of the most effective and safest medicines that are needed in the health system. It was the 94th most commonly prescribed medicines with more than 8 million prescriptions in the United States. This medicine is store at room temperature from 15 to 30 degrees celsius and protected from moisture and light.
Ferrous sulfate is an iron supplement that can be used in the treatment of low blood levels of iron. The deficiency of iron may be caused by anemia and pregnancy. Iron is one of the important minerals in which the body needs for producing red blood cells and maintain good health.
How to take –
You must follow all the instructions that are listed on your prescriptions and should take as per consultation with your doctor. If you take this medicine without food and feel stomach pain then must take this tablet with food. Do not take dairy products such as tea or coffee for 2 hours before or after taking this medicine due to it will reduce the effectiveness. Do not sleep for at least 10 minutes after taking this medicine. This medicine should be taken as a whole with a full glass of water. You should not crush, break or chew this medicine as it may increase the risk of side effects. If you take this medicine in the liquid form for adults then should carefully measure the dose by using a special measuring device or spoon. You should not use a household spoon due to it may not get the correct dose of this medicine.
If you give a liquid drop of this medicine to an infant or child then use the dropper provided carefully measure the dose.
Dosage instructions –
The dose of this medicine depend on the medical conditions and age of an individual. You should try to take the correct dose of this medicine either tablet or in liquid form as per instructed by your doctor.
– Take this medicine as soon as possible if you miss the dose of this medicine. But do not take an extra dose of this medicine when you missed the dose of this medicine.
– The overdose of this medicine may cause several severe side effects, which are harmful to your health. So, if you take an overdose of this medicine then consult your doctor for medical help.
These are some of the side effects after taking this medicine are listed below –
- Stomach upset
- Severe dizziness
- Problem in breathing
- Swelling in face or tongue or throat
If you are suffering from any side effects for a long period then instantly talk to your doctor for any medical help.
There are some of the precautions for those people who use this medicine for treatment are listed below –
- This medicine should not be taken if you are allergic to this drug as it may harmful to you.
- If you are suffering from several severe diseases such as heart diseases, kidney or liver problems, and many more then consult your doctor before using this medicine.
- You can consult with your doctor if you use several other medications before taking this medicine.
- If you have diabetes, liver disease or alcohol dependence then ask your doctor before using this medicine due to the liquid form of this medicine can contain alcohol or sugar.
- You should talk to your doctor if you are pregnant before using this drug as it may harmful for your unborn baby.
- Chewable tablets of this medicine have aspartame so if you have phenylketonuria (PKU) or any other conditions then restrict the intake of aspartame or phenylamine as per instructed by your doctor.