Famotidine is the medicine that reduces stomach acid production and is used in the treatment of peptic ulcer disease, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome, and gastroesophageal reflux disease. It is taken by injection into a vein or mouth and starts work within an hour. This medicine was patented in the year 1979 and into medical use in the year 1985.
Famotidine was available as a generic medication and generally, it was the 114th prescribed medicine in the United States with more than 6 million prescriptions.
Famotidine is used in the treatment of stomach and intestine ulcers by lowering the amount of acid in the stomach. This medicine relieves symptoms including stomach pain, cough, problem in swallowing, and heartburn. It belongs to a class of medicines called as H2 blockers and is also available without a prescription. This medicine is used in the treatment of heartburn and other symptoms, which are caused by a large amount of acid in the stomach.
How to take –
This medicine should be taken by mouth with or without food as per consult by your doctor normally once or twice regularly. If you take this medicine for one time then usually take this medicine before sleep at night. You must follow all the instructions carefully on the prescription before using this medicine. Do not take a large amount of alcohol during medication as it may increase the risk of side effects.
Dosage instructions –
The dose of this medicine is based on their past or present health conditions and response to treatment. Dosage may also depend on body weight, especially in children. You should take this medicine daily for getting the most benefit from it. Do not change or increase the dose of this medicine without discussing it with your doctor. During treatment, you should not stop taking this medicine without consultation with your doctor due to it can delay the healing of the ulcer.
– Take this medicine as soon as possible if you miss the dose of this medicine any time. But do not take a double dose of this medicine as it may harmful to your health.
Overdose- Advertisement -
– If you take an overdose of this medicine then immediately talk to your doctor as it may cause several severe side effects, which is not good for your health.
There are some of the side effects after using this medicine for treatment are as given below –
- Intestinal upset
- Sore throat
- Easy bleeding
- Mood changes
There are some of the precautions before using this medicine are as given below –
- Do not take more than two tablets in one day without discussing it with your doctor as it may cause serious side effects.
- This medicine should not be taken for treatment if you are allergic to this medicine.
- You should talk to your doctor about your medical conditions before taking this medicine.
- After using this medicine, do not drive any vehicle or avoid any other physical activities due to this medicine causes sleepiness or dizziness that enhance the risk of an accident.
- If you have any side effects including heartburn, nausea, dizziness, sweating, and many more then should get immediate medical help.
- You should take this medicine with food if you have a problem with stomach pain after taking this medicine without food.
- Do not take this medicine if you have any kidney problems as it may increase the level of a drug in your body that causes more side effects, which is not good for your health.
- If you are suffering from any allergic reaction after taking this medicine including problems in breathing, swelling in eyes or throat, and rash then immediately contact your doctor for medical help.
- You should consult with your doctor before taking this medicine if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant.
- This medicine is not approved for those children whose weight is less than 40kg because the strength of this medicine is more than the recommended dose for these children.