Entecavir is an antiviral medicine that can be used in the treatment of hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection. This medicine is available in tablets and solutions.
In the year 2005, this medicine was approved for medical use. Entecavir is listed as an essential medicine by the World Health Organization (WHO). This medicine is not available as a generic medication in the United States.
Entecavir is an antiviral medicine that belongs to a group of medicine called as hepatitis B virus nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors. Hepatitis B is an infection of the liver and a very severe disease due to the hepatitis B virus. Entecavir is used in the treatment of long-term hepatitis B infection. If you are suffering from a long-time hepatitis B infection then it may cause liver damage or liver cancer. This medicine helps in lowering the amount of hepatitis B in the virus that reduces the risk of liver cancer or liver damage. But this medicine does not prevent the spread of the virus through blood, sharing needles, and sexual contact.
How to take –
Take this medicine with an empty stomach at least hours before or after a meal and usually once daily as instructed by your doctor. If you take this medicine is in liquid form then should carefully measure the dose by using a special spoon. But do not use a household spoon due to it may not get the right dose. During medication, you should not mix the medicine with water or other liquid. After use, you should rinse the spoon with a large amount of water. When the amount of medicine in your body is kept at a constant level then this medicine works best for treatment. Do not suddenly stop taking this medicine without consultation with your doctor as it may again enhance the virus and make more infection. However, if your condition is not improved then immediately contact your doctor.
Dosage instructions –
The dose of any medicine is a very important factor in the treatment of several diseases. You should take the right dose of this medicine as per prescribed by your doctor.
– Take this medicine instantly when you miss the dose at any time or day during treatment. But do not take an extra dose of this medicine to make up the dose due to it may harmful to your health.
– The overdose of this medicine may be very harmful to your health. So, if you take an overdose of this medicine by chance then immediately talk to your doctor to prevent unwanted side effects.
Several side effects that are caused by this medicine are given below –
- High blood sugar
- Enlargement of the liver
- Reduce kidney function
- Problem in breathing
- Muscle aches
- Stomach pain
- Irregular heartbeat
There are some of the precautions that should be taken before or after taking this medicine are given below –
- Do not take this medicine if you are suffering from HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus) as this drug is not used in treating HIV.
- You should consult with your doctor if you have any problem of difficulty in breathing, feeling cold, and weak after taking this medicine.
- If you have an allergic problem with this medicine then you should avoid this drug and consult with your doctor to change the product.
- This medicine should not be taken with a large amount of alcohol as it may worsen your liver problems.
- You should use a condom during sexual activity to lower the risk of spreading hepatitis B to other people.
- If you become pregnant during medication then you should consult with your doctor before taking this medicine as it may harm your unborn baby.
You must talk to your doctor before taking this medicine if you breastfeed to your baby as this medicine can pass into breast milk and may be harmful for your baby.