In the year 2004, Duloxetine was approved for medical use in the European Union and the United States. Duloxetine is available as a generic medication and is sold under the brand name of Cymbalta. This medicine is a selective serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor antidepressant (SSNR), which is used in the treatment of a major depressive disorder in adults. The work of the medicine is to help in restoring the balance of certain natural substances (serotonin and norepinephrine) in the brain. This medicine is also used in the treatment of anxiety disorder in adults and children that are at least 7 years old. It is also used in the treatment of nerve pain in adults that is caused by chronic muscle, diabetes, or joint pain such as low back pain.
Duloxetine is also used in the treatment of fibromyalgia, which is a chronic pain disorder in adults and children that are at least 13 years old. This medicine may improve the mood, energy level, appetite, sleep and reduce nervousness.
How to take –
Take this medicine via mouth as a whole with or without food as per consultation with your doctor. This medicine should be taken generally 1 or 2 times a day and if you are suffering from nausea then this medicine should be taken with food. You should read and obey all the instructions on your prescription before taking this medicine. You should not chew or crush the medicine and take it as a whole with a full glass of water.
Dosage instructions –
The dose of this medicine is depending on the health condition, age, and response to treatment. You should start the medication with a low dose to lower the risk of severe side effects. After some days, you can increase gradually increase the dose as per consultation with your doctor. You cannot stop taking this medicine without discussing it with your doctor as the condition may become worse.
– If you miss the dose of this medicine then should take it as soon as possible. Do not take the double dose of this medicine when you miss the dose as it may harmful for you.
– The overdose of this medicine may cause severe side effects and harmful to the health. If you take an overdose of this medicine then immediately contact your doctor for medical help.
There are some of the side effects of this medicine are as given below –
- Increased sweating
- Dry mouth
- Liver problems
- Sexual problems
If you are suffering from any side effects then stop taking this medicine and immediately consult with your doctor.
There are some of the precautions before taking this medicine are as given below –
- This medicine should not be taken if you are allergic to duloxetine and also consult with your doctor.
- You can discuss your health conditions or medical history with your doctor before taking this medicine.
- Do not drive any vehicle or any other physical activities after taking this medicine as it may cause dizziness or sleepy.
- This medicine may affect the blood sugar level then you should check the level of blood sugar daily and discuss it with your doctor.
- If you are pregnant then this medicine should be used only if necessary or in any emergency with caution as it harms an unborn baby.
- During medication, do not take a large amount of alcohol as it may cause severe side effects which is dangerous to your health.
- Do not increase the dose of this medicine without consultation with your doctor due to it may cause side effects.
If you feel stomach upset then this medicine should be taken with food.