Doxycycline is a broad-spectrum tetracycline-class antibiotic that can be used to treat several infections due to certain parasites and bacteria. This medicine is used in the treatment of acne, Lyme disease, bacterial pneumonia, syphilis, cholera, chlamydia infections, and typhus. It is in combination with quinine and can be used to prevent malaria. This medicine may be taken via the mouth or by injection into a vein.
In the year 1957, Doxycycline was patented and introduced for medical use in the year 1967. This medicine was listed as an essential medicine of the World Health Organization (WHO) and is available as a generic medicine. Doxycycline was the 80th most commonly prescribed medication with more than 10 million prescriptions in the United Nations in the year 2018.
Doxycycline is used in the treatment of several bacterial infections including which causes acne and malaria. The main work of this medicine is to stop the growth of bacteria in the body that prevents several bacterial infections. But this medicine is used only for bacterial infections not for viral infections.
How to take –
You should read and follow the instructions on your prescriptions before taking this medicine. Take this medicine via the mouth on an empty stomach before 1 hour or after 2 hours a meal normally 1 or 2 times regularly as directed by your doctor. If your stomach upset occurs, then take this medicine with food. After taking this medicine, do not lie down in 10 minutes. If you use this medicine to treat malaria then take one tablet regularly. You can take this medicine 1 to 2 days before if you are going for travel as directed by your doctor. If you live in any malaria area then you should continue to take this medicine. When you back to home from the malaria area then keep taking this medicine for 4 more weeks.
During treatment, if you use this medicine as a liquid form then shake the bottle well before each dose. You should carefully measure the dose of this liquid form medicine by using a special measuring device or spoon. But do not use a household spoon due to you may not get the correct dose. If you stop taking this medicine immediately then bacteria again grow in your body that may result in a return of the infection.
Dosage instructions –
The dose of this medicine may depend on your medical conditions and response to therapy during treatment.
Miss Dose- Advertisement -
– Take this medicine immediately if you miss the dose on any day. But do not take a double dose of this medicine to make up the dose as it may cause side effects.
– If you take an overdose of this medicine then talk to your immediately due to it may cause severe side effects that are dangerous to your health.
There are several side effects of this medicine are given below –
- Stomach upset
- Kidney problems
- Vision problem
- Vagina yeast infection
There are several important precautions before or after taking this medicine are discussed below –
- Do not take this medicine if you have an allergic problem from this medicine as it may harmful to you.
- If you have become pregnant during medication then should consult with your doctor before taking this medicine as it may harm your unborn baby.
- You should discuss with your doctor about health conditions before using this medicine for any treatment.
- Do not give this medicine to children who are younger than 8 years without consultation with your doctor as children may be more sensitive to side effects of this medicine.
You should not take this medicine during breastfeeding without discussing it with your doctor as this drug may pass into breast milk and be harmful to your infant.