Diphenhydramine is an antihistamine that can be used in the treatment of allergies. This medicine is also used to treat symptoms of the common cold, nausea, tremor in parkinsonism, and insomnia. It is taken via the mouth, injected into a muscle or vein, or applied to the skin.
George Rieveschi firstly made Diphenhydramine and came into for medical use in the year 1946 and is sold under the trade name Benadryl. Diphenhydramine was the 241st most commonly prescribed medication with more than two million prescriptions in the United States in the year 2017 and is available as a generic medication.
Medical Uses –
Diphenhydramine is used in relieving symptoms of allergy including rash, itchy eyes, cough, sneezing, and runny nose. This medicine is also used in the treatment of the common cold and hay fever. It is also used to treat vomiting, nausea, and dizziness due to motion sickness. This medicine is also used to feel relax and fall asleep. The main work of this medicine is to prevent or reduce the effect of the natural substance known as histamine, which is responsible for itching, runny nose, itching, and watery eyes. This medicine also helps in treating motion sickness by inducing sleep and certain symptoms of Parkinson’s disease.
How to take –
Take this medicine via the mouth with or without food as instructed by your doctor. You must read and follow all the instructions on your prescriptions before taking this medicine. During medication, if you use this medicine is in liquid form then should carefully measure the dose with the help of a special measuring spoon or device. Do not use a common household spoon to measure the dose due to it may not get the correct dose of this medicine. But if you have a single dose of this medicine then do not need to measure the dose. You should take this medicine before 30 minutes for starting several activities including travel to prevent the problem of the motion of sickness. Take the dose of this medicine 30 minutes before bedtime to improve sleep.
Dosage instructions –
The dose of any medicine is depending on your past or present health conditions, age, gender, and response to therapy. During treatment, you should try to take the right dose of this medicine that helps in recovering soon from any disease.
– If you miss the dose anytime then take this medicine as soon as possible. But do not take an extra dose of this medicine for making up the dose as it may cause side effects.
Overdose- Advertisement -
– An overdose of this medicine causes severe side effects that are not good for your health. So, if you take an overdose of this medicine then contact to your doctor as soon as possible for medical help.
There are several side effects after taking this medicine are given below –
- Blurred vision
- Stomach upset
- Problem in breathing
- Irregular heartbeat
- Urinary retention
If you are suffering from any one of the side effects for a long period after taking this medicine then immediately consult with your doctor for medical help.
There are several precautions taken before or after taking this medicine are given below –
- Diphenhydramine medicine should not be taken to children younger than 6 years as it may harmful for kids.
- If you have an allergic problem with this medicine then you should not take this product.
- After taking this medicine do not drive any vehicle or machine or avoid physical activities as this medicine reduces the alertness that may increase the risk of an accident or injury.
- Do not take this medicine with alcohol as it may cause unwanted side effects, which are harmful to your health.
- You should consult with your doctor before taking this medicine if you are pregnant due to it may harmful to your unborn baby.
Do not take this medicine if you breastfeed your baby as this drug may pass into breast milk and harmful for your infant.