Phenytoin is a medicine, which is sold under the name of Dilantin. Dilantin is an anti-seizure medication that is used in the prevention of focal seizures and tonic-clonic seizures. This medicine may also be used for certain neuropathic pain and heart arrhythmias. The level of blood can be measured to control the proper dose of this medicine. It also lowers the spread of seizure activity in the brain.
How to take –
You should follow all the instructions on the prescription before taking this medicine. This medicine should be taken by mouth normally once a day as directed by your doctor. You can take this medicine with food if a stomach upset occurs. Take this medicine as a whole with a full glass of water and do not use the capsules if discolored. If you are pregnant then discuss with your doctor before using this medicine and should take this medicine with precaution as it may harmful for an unborn baby.
This medicine should be taken regularly to get more benefit from it during treatment. You should not stop taking this medicine without discussing your doctor because seizures may be worse if the medicine is suddenly stopped. After using this medicine if your condition does not improve then contact your doctor immediately.
There are several side effects after using this medicine are as given below –
- Enlargement of the gums
- Problem in sleeping
- Increased hair growth
- Loss of appetite
- Low blood pressure
- Liver problems
If you feel any one of the side effects after taking this medicine then immediately contact your doctor to prevent the problem.
Dosage instructions –
The dose of this medicine is based on your health condition and response to therapy. The recommended dose of Dilantin for an adult is 100mg and should be taken three times regularly. If the 100mg of this medicine may cause any side effects or harmful for you then should reduce the dose as per consultation with your doctor.
– If you miss the dose of this medicine then should take it as soon as possible. But do not take a double dose of this medicine when you miss the dose as it may cause several side effects.
– The overdose of this medicine also causes several severe side effects and harmful for you. Thus, if you take the overdose of this medicine then immediately contact your doctor for medical help.
There are some of the precautions for patients before using this medicine are as given below –
- You should talk about your past health conditions with your doctor before using this medicine.
- If you are allergic to Dilantin then consult with your doctor before using this medicine.
- Do not drive any vehicle or avoid any physical activities after taking this medicine because this tablet may reduce the alertness and may cause dizziness or drowsy.
- You should not take a large amount of alcohol at the time of medication as it may cause several side effects and harmful to your health.
- During pregnancy, you can take Dilantin medicine when needed as it may harmful to your unborn baby.
- Do not stop taking this medicine without discussing with your doctor during treatment.
- If you are pregnant then discuss the risks and benefits of this medicine with your doctor.
Do not change or increase the dose of this medicine without discussion with your doctor as it may harmful for you.