Diazepam is also known as Valium, is a medicine that belongs to the benzodiazepine family and acts as an anxiolytic. This medicine is used in the treatment of alcohol withdrawal syndrome, muscle spasms, restless legs syndrome, anxiety, seizures, and benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome. It can be taken via the mouth, injected into the muscle, rectum, or vein, and nasal spray.
Hoffmann-La Roche patented this medicine in the year 1959 and has been one of the most frequently prescribed medications all over the world since its launch in the year 1963. It was the highest-selling medication from 1968 to 1982 in the United States with more than 2 billion tablets in the year 1978. Diazepam was the 115th most commonly prescribed medication with more than 6 million prescriptions in the year 2018. This medicine is listed as an essential medicine of the World Health Organization. This medicine was approved in the United States for medical use as a nasal spray for interrupting seizure activity in people with epilepsy in the year 2020.
This medicine is used in treating seizures, insomnia, anxiety, panic attacks, and symptoms of acute alcohol withdrawal. It can also be used in relieving muscle spasms and provide calm before medical procedures. The work of this medicine is to calm the brain and nerves.
How to take –
You must read and follow all the instructions on your prescriptions before taking this medicine. Take this medicine via the mouth with or without food as directed by your doctor. If you use this medicine is in liquid form then should carefully measure the dose by using a special device or spoon. But do not use a household spoon because it may not measure the correct dose of this medicine. If you use this medicine as a concentrated solution then use the dropper provided that mix the measured dose with a little amount of liquid or soft food including pudding, and applesauce. If your conditions are not improved after medication then consult with your doctor.
Dosage instructions –
The dose of any medicine is depending on age, gender, health condition, and response to treatment. You should try to take the correct dose of this medicine as directed by your doctor.
– Take this medicine as soon as possible when you miss the dose anytime during treatment. But do not take a heavy dose of this medicine to make up the dose for that day as it may cause side effects.
Overdose- Advertisement -
– An overdose of this medicine may cause unwanted side effects that are dangerous to your health. So, if you take an overdose of this medicine then immediately consult with your doctor for medical help.
There are several side effects after taking this medicine are given below –
- Blurred vision
- Problem in urinating
- Yellowing eyes or skin
- Difficulty in breathing
- Sore throat
If you have any normal or severe side effects for a long time after taking this medicine then contact your doctor as soon as possible for medical help.
There are several precautions before or after taking this medicine are given below –
- Do not take grapefruit or not drink grapefruit juice during medication due to grapefruit can increase the risk of side effects.
- You should consult with your doctor about past or present medical conditions before taking this medicine.
- Diazepam medicine should not be taken with alcohol as it may cause unwanted side effects and is not good for your health.
- After taking this medicine, do not drive any vehicle or avoid physical activities as it may cause sleepiness or dizziness that may increase the risk of an accident or injury.
- This medicine is not recommended for pregnant ladies due to it may harm your unborn baby.
During breastfeeding, do not take this medicine due to it may passes into breast milk and can unwanted harmful effects on a nursing infant.