This medicine is sold, which is under the brand name Farxiga. It is used to control type 2 diabetes and with certain restrictions type 1 diabetes. Dapagliflozin is also used in the treatment of certain kinds of heart failure in adults.
This medicine lowers the blood sugar levels with type 2 diabetes and is also used in lowering the risk of needing to be hospitalized due to heart failure in adults who are suffering from type-2 diabetes and several risk factors for developing blood vessels and heart disease. Dapagliflozin is one of the medicines known as sodium-glucose co-transporter 2 (SGLT2) inhibitors. This medicine is not used in the treatment of type-1 diabetes.
High blood sugar levels may develop life-threatening complications such as kidney problems, eye problems, heart disease or stroke, and nerve damage. You should take dapagliflozin and making lifestyle changes such as regular exercise, avoid smoking, morning walk, and daily check the blood sugar level that helps in maintaining diabetes and improves the health. This type of therapy can also lower the risk of heart attack or other diabetes-related complications including nerve damage, reduced sexual ability in men and women, loss of vision, and many more.
How to take –
This medicine should be taken via mouth with or without food once a day in the morning. Before taking this medicine, you should follow all the guidelines on your prescriptions. This medicine control diabetes and does not cure it. You should not stop taking medicine without consultation with your doctor. Do not take a large amount of alcohol when you take this medicine as it may cause severe side effects.
Dosage instructions –
This medicine is available in two different doses such as 5mg and 10mg. If you are a new user of this medicine then start using it with a low dose that lowers the risk of any side effects. But if the low dose of this medicine is not beneficial for you then increase the dose of this medicine as per directed by your doctor. You should take the right dose of this medicine as per consultation with your doctor for good treatment.
- Miss dose – You take the missed dose as soon as possible if you miss any dose. Do not take a double dose of this medicine if you missed the dose as it may harmful to your health.
- Overdose – If you feel any side effects when you take the overdose of this medicine then immediately contact to your doctor.
There are some of the side effects after using this medicine for treatment are as given below –
- Sore throat
- Increased thirst
- Rectal or pelvic pain
- Reduced amount of urine
- Cloudy or red urine
- Problem in breathing
If you are suffering from any one of the side effects after using this medicine then immediately consult to your doctor.
There are some of the precautions when you use this medicine which are as given below –
- If you are allergic to dapagliflozin then before taking this medicine ask your doctor whether use this tablet or not.
- Do not take this medicine for treatment if you have any kidney problems.
- During medication do not take a large amount of alcohol as it may cause side effects that are harmful to your health.
- Do not take this medicine if you plan to breastfeed.
- After taking this medicine, do not drive any vehicle or any other physical activities due to this medicine causes dizziness, tiredness, or fainting.
You should not change the dose of this medicine without discussion with your doctor.