Cymbalta is also known as duloxetine is a medicine that can be used in the treatment of generalized anxiety disorder, neuropathic pain, major depressive disorder, and fibromyalgia. This medicine was approved in the European Union and the United States for medical use in the year 2004. Cymbalta was the 36th most common medication prescribed with more than 21 million prescriptions in the United States in the year 2018 and is available as a generic medication.
Cymbalta is used in the treatment of anxiety and depression. This medicine also helps in relieving nerve pain in people with ongoing pain and diabetes due to medical conditions including arthritis, and fibromyalgia, or chronic back pain. It also improves the appetite, sleep quality, energy level, and reduces nervousness. This medicine may also reduce the pain caused by certain medical conditions. Cymbalta is also called a serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (SNRI) and works by helping in restoring the balance of certain natural substances (serotonin and norepinephrine) in the brain.
How to take –
Take this medicine via the mouth and usually 1 or 2 times a day with or without food as instructed by your doctor. But if you are suffering from nausea then this medicine should be taken with food. You should read and follow all the guidelines on your prescription label before taking this medicine. During medication, if you use a capsule then should be taken as a whole without chewing or crushing as it may increase the risk of side effects. Do not suddenly stop taking this medicine without consultation with your doctor as it may cause several symptoms such as headache, diarrhea, mood swings, confusion, and dizziness.
Dosage instructions –
The dose of this medicine may depend on the age, past or present, and response to treatment. You start the medication with a low dose to prevent the risk of side effects and gradually increase the dose of this medicine as directed by your doctor. During treatment, do not increase the dose of this medicine without consultation with your doctor.
– If you miss the dose then take this medicine as soon as possible when you remember. But do not take an extra dose of this medicine as it may harmful to your health.
– The overdose of this medicine causes some serious side effects including fainting and severe drowsiness, which is not good for your health. If you take an overdose of this medicine then consult with your doctor immediately for medical help.
There are some of the side effects after using this medicine are given below –
- Dry mouth
- Loss of appetite
- Increased sweating
- Stomach pain
- Dark urine
- Yellowing skin or eyes
- Muscle cramps
- Blurred vision
If you have any side effects for a long period after taking this medicine then immediately talk to your doctor for medical help.
There are some of the precautions before taking this medicine for treatment are given below –
- Do not take this medicine if you are an allergic problem to this drug as it may harmful to your health.
- You can consult with your doctor about your past or present health conditions before taking this medicine.
- After medication, you should not drive any vehicle as this medicine may cause sleepiness or dizziness and may increase the chances of an accident.
- At the time of medication, do not take a large amount of alcohol as it may cause severe side effects, which is not good for your health.
- If you have diabetes then should check your blood sugar level as this medicine may affect the level of blood sugar.
- Do not take this medicine if you are suffering from narrow-angle glaucoma.
- You should not suddenly stop taking this medicine without consultation with your doctor.
- If you are pregnant then consult with your doctor before taking this medicine as it may harm your unborn child.
Do not take this medicine if you are breastfeeding a child as it may pass into breast milk and harmful effects on your baby.